"Pentium 4 2.8ghz / 800mhz fsb / 512kb cache / windows xp / 4 memory slots that can be single or dual channel up to 4gb of pc3200 memory. I Have the following: 1gb and 512mb PC3200 memory sticks, also 256kb and 128kb PC2100 memory sticks.

1st Question: Should I use all memory 1.875gb which will slow the channel memory rate to 266ddr or use 1.5gb at 333ddr?

2nd Question: will I gain much from buying a 2nd 512 mb pc3200 memory stick (putting the 2 512mb sticks on one side and the 1gb stick on the other) and running in dual channel mode?

If you can answer either or both questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You, ETE

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

the 2 chips need to of equal size to work in dual mode ,and motherboard and cpu that supports it ,you definitely don't want to throw the 2100 into the mix, even in single channel mode.and the 2 512 and the 1 gig will not work together in ddr mode ,from what iv'e read on the site linked anyway more info here.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/133

the 2 chips need to of equal size to work in dual mode ,and motherboard and cpu that supports it ,you definitely don't want to throw the 2100 into the mix, even in single channel mode.and the 2 512 and the 1 gig will not work together in ddr mode ,from what iv'e read on the site linked anyway more info here.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/133

Caperjack - Actually your reply is worth a lot more tha "My 2 Cents".

I still need some help, you have helped me clarify my situation / dilemma!

Your statement about motherboard and CPU that supports it made me go back and take a second look...system only supports a maximum of 333MHz pc2700, the pc3200 installed is running in pc2700 compatibility mode and the article was also very helpful.

From what you have said, I'm ready to scrap both pc2100's (256k and 128k), if I run in single channel mode and use the 1.5gb in pc2700 mode. Did I understand that to be your advice?
Please look at the attached article from Intel, that is why I thought I could mix 1gb on one side and 2 512kb on the other side to achieve dual channel mode...Am I Missing something?

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-011965.htm

Thanks so much for your valuable insight, ETE.

now im confused ,but it look like according to the link that you can achieve dual Chanel with 3 chips ,i thought from what all i have been reading about dual channel lately that there had to be equal size chips in 2 matching channels ,but they show using 2 matching chips in the 2 matching channels and 1 unmatched size chip in a single channel by itself.any as you have no 2 chips that match in size they it looks like you are stuck using the single mode .

Thanks to Caperjack for great help! (daniweb would not let me add to your reputation today). sounds like you believe that I should run single thread at 333MHz with 1.5gb and not single thread at 266MHz with 1.875gb or buy another 512kb pc2700 333MHz stick and run dual channel (1GB stick on 1 channel and the matching 512gb sticks on the other...Is that waht is best?

something like that ,try it both ways see if you see any difference

Thanks

Thanks

your welcome

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.