Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me with my IBM T40.
Basically...I hooked it up at an internet cafe (very stupid of me as I have no anti-virus software installed) and I got a warning message saying something along the lines of "spyware has been found on your pc"...and that my "system is under SEVERE threat".
The next thing the laptop just shut down. Dead as a dodo. Nothing. No lights, no sound, nothing.
I've tried removing the battery and plugging it in with the adapter, then replacing the battery and removing the adapter and holding the "on" button down for awhile, but nothing happens - except for a really quick flash of the battery symbol light on the laptop itself.

Any ideas if this is fixable?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
J.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Well on the laptop, sounds like some kind of hardware issue not virus related. Those pop-ups are actually just a clever ploy for you to click on and then when you are at thier website the install spyware/virus on your machine. It's pretty tricky. Anyway you can get free anti-virus from grisoft, just type in AVG free into goolge. You can also get Ad-ware a free spyware scanner. It honestly sounds like a coniecidence with the popup and failure of your machine.
T-40 are getting pretty old, I'd bet it was your power (sometimes those connectors come loose on those old thinkpads and have to be resoddered) or your mobo. both are hard and expensive to fix

Well on the laptop, sounds like some kind of hardware issue not virus related. Those pop-ups are actually just a clever ploy for you to click on and then when you are at thier website the install spyware/virus on your machine. It's pretty tricky. Anyway you can get free anti-virus from grisoft, just type in AVG free into goolge. You can also get Ad-ware a free spyware scanner. It honestly sounds like a coniecidence with the popup and failure of your machine.
T-40 are getting pretty old, I'd bet it was your power (sometimes those connectors come loose on those old thinkpads and have to be resoddered) or your mobo. both are hard and expensive to fix

Thanks for that...
I have actually been having some power issues too...but reinserting the battery has worked so far..
oh well...
And thanks for the tips on the software...will definately look into that when/if I get up and running again...

HI
Can you enter the bios or is the pc dead, blank screen no logos at start-up. If you can enter bios try booting from the cd-rom or OS disk and run a repair.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.