Hi
i have a px running with xp and i had a lot of files and folders..because i had a virus that i could not take it was crashing my internet then i want to install a second boot ubuntu..
and i did not format any drive
when it was finished i cannot see my c: and all the files..and now i boot with mint maya linux the same the c: is not showing
any help please ...

Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by gabeandjaydwells

u can use "fips" from a bash prompt and see if your windows drive is still there. (fips is a partition program. I think you can do like.. "man fips" from bash for the manual on it.) It won't be called "C:\", instead it will be //hda/disk1 or something like that.. you can mount and then list the contents to see if the files are there. ("ls -a" to list files)

it's been years since I've used fips or linux, sorry. If you did overwrite your xp drive you can use a program called "test-disk" and it can recover corrupted/overwritten drives. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get all files back but I bet you can get most.

hope this helps..

Hi
Thank you very much
i tried fips and testdisk both not recognized in linux mint maya
and i m new in linux..

Hi
that what i get when i run fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19452 cylinders, total 312500000 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000d20df
and really i m sure my data it is this disk
how i can have access ?
any help please or any suggestion ?

if that is the only physical disk that you have on your pc then you overwrote your data when you installed linux. unless you have logical partitions but I believe they would have shown up with fdisk. If someone else can confirm this it would be much appreciated. Do you have more than one drive on your disk? did/do you partition them?

I'm not sure you are going to be able to get your files back, sorry. The last resort method, that I use anyway, is test-disk. It's a great file recovery program and is free. I don't have the url for it off hand but you can bing/google it and it should show up. It's fairly easy to use and has worked well for me over the years. I'm just not sure with going 2 levels deep if it will be able to get your xp files back. This is where backing your files up regularly helps.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.