Hi
i have a px running with xp and i had a lot of files and folders..because i had a virus that i could not take it was crashing my internet then i want to install a second boot ubuntu..
and i did not format any drive
when it was finished i cannot see my c: and all the files..and now i boot with mint maya linux the same the c: is not showing
any help please ...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

u can use "fips" from a bash prompt and see if your windows drive is still there. (fips is a partition program. I think you can do like.. "man fips" from bash for the manual on it.) It won't be called "C:\", instead it will be //hda/disk1 or something like that.. you can mount and then list the contents to see if the files are there. ("ls -a" to list files)

it's been years since I've used fips or linux, sorry. If you did overwrite your xp drive you can use a program called "test-disk" and it can recover corrupted/overwritten drives. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get all files back but I bet you can get most.

hope this helps..

Hi
Thank you very much
i tried fips and testdisk both not recognized in linux mint maya
and i m new in linux..

Hi
that what i get when i run fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19452 cylinders, total 312500000 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000d20df
and really i m sure my data it is this disk
how i can have access ?
any help please or any suggestion ?

if that is the only physical disk that you have on your pc then you overwrote your data when you installed linux. unless you have logical partitions but I believe they would have shown up with fdisk. If someone else can confirm this it would be much appreciated. Do you have more than one drive on your disk? did/do you partition them?

I'm not sure you are going to be able to get your files back, sorry. The last resort method, that I use anyway, is test-disk. It's a great file recovery program and is free. I don't have the url for it off hand but you can bing/google it and it should show up. It's fairly easy to use and has worked well for me over the years. I'm just not sure with going 2 levels deep if it will be able to get your xp files back. This is where backing your files up regularly helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.