I have multiple user accounts on my Mac (533 MHz G4) for my family members. We use the logical place, Users Shared, to store stuff we all want to, well, share. The problem is that every time I try to delete or move (I'm assuming a move is treateed as a copy and delete at the unix level) a file that was not owned by me, I am prompted for an admin password. I AM an admin on the account and have rwx rights to this directory. I can supply the password but it is VERY anoying! Since I'm "the computer guy" at home, and often clean up the Shared folder I run into this often.

I was a NetWare 4.x CNA. In that world, shared MEANS shared. Someone please tell me there is a way to get around this OS behavior. It's driving me nuts! Hope to hear from someone.

Thanks,
Jose

Hello Jose,

You are on the right track. You can go into netinfo and enable the root (pure UNIX root) account, and with that information, be Godlike on the computer.

You can also turn off permissions at the Volume level. Not recommended, but it can be done. You can also re-work the permissions on your SHARED folder, so that you have an easier time doing this.

Let me know if this doesn't work, or if you want the details on enabling root.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.