While trying to download updates from Microsoft a popup box appears and says, under the heading Microsoft 2002: Error 1317: Setup cannot create the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft. Verify that the path exists in your system and that you have sufficient permissions to update it.

And at the same time I'm receiving notices from my taskbar saying that 'The file or directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data is corrupt and unreadable'.

How do I remedy this? The updates keep trying load to my computer and it will continue until I remedy this problem.

This is NOT an issue of sufficient permissions, it is an issue of the file being corrupted. How do I un-corrupt it? I have been having these problems ever since a sudden shutdown from an electrical blackout. Files continue to corrupt and I continue to Scandisk but with only temporary success.

I cannot restore to a previous date as my computer will NOT restore, I've gone through the process of trying to fix that and made a test restore date and it didn't work.

Thank you,
Barb

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi, which O/S are you using?

Member Avatar for andavari

Try this:

Note:All solutions require that you be logged in as Administrator or as a user that is an Administrator.

Solution 1: Set the proper permissions on the folder in question

-- Windows 2000:

1. Double click on My Computer.

1. Right click on theparent folder contained within the error and select Properties. For example: If the error said "Error 1317... C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\bla bla", then right click on Application Data and select Properties.

2. Select the Security tab.

3. Make certian that Administrators is listed and permissions for security is set to full control.

-- Windows XP Home:

1. Reboot into safe mode

a. Restart Windows.

b. Press F8 before Windows starts, when you see a message such as "For Advanced Startup Options . . . ."

c. Select Safe Mode from the list of startup options.

d. "Safe Mode" should appear in each corner of the desktop.

-- If "Safe Mode" doesn't appear in each corner of the desktop, then repeat steps 6-8.

-- If "Safe Mode" does appear in each corner of the desktop, then log in as administrator of the local machine.

e. If a dialog box indicates that Windows is running in Safe Mode, then click OK.

2. Choose Start > My Computer.

3. Choose Tools > Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

4. In the Advanced Settings, deselect Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended), and click OK.

5. Right click on theparent folder contained within the error and select Properties. Example: If the error said "Error 1317... C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\bla bla\", then right click on Application Data and select Properties.

6. Select the Securiy tab.

7. Make certian that Administrators is listed and permissions for security is set to full control.

-- Windows XP Professional:

1. Choose Start > My Computer.

2. Choose Tools > Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

3. In the Advanced Settings, deselect Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended), and click OK.

4. Right click on theparent folder contained within the error and select Properties. Example: If the error said "Error 1317... C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\bla bla\" right click on Application Data and select Properties.

5. Select the Securiy tab.

6. Make certian that Administrators is listed and permissions for security is set to full control.

Solution 2: Set the proper permissions on the folder in question using the command line

1. Choose Start > Run, and then type cmd in the Open box. Click OK.

2. Use the following commands; include quotation marks and press Return at the end of each line (also make sure to enter spaces between /T, /E, /C and /G in the third line):

c:

cd "\[parent of the directory contained within the error]"

cacls "All Users" /T /E /C /G administrators:F

exit

Background Information

Error 1317 is a Windows Installer error that indicates the Windows installer could not create a directory where indicated.

Someone googled and removed the Adobe references :P

That's right, I did.

Hi everyone and thank you so very much for the great information. I ran it through a scandisk and, so far, everything seems to be okay. That doesn't usually last so I will save this information and refer back to it as I need it. Thanks again, Barb

Glad to be of some help Barb.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.