I have a home network with 2 computers connected - the first runs xp2 and connects with no problems. The second is a dual boot vista/xp2 which I have recently set up.
Vista connects to the wireless again with no problem but the xp2 boot does not.
I have disabled all firewalls and turned off all security, double checked the addresses, and run repair.
The icon in the sys tray says I am connected but when I ping the router it times out. I have been working on this for over two days with my limited knowledge and cannot understand what is wrong.
Can anyone please assist
B

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

what is the ip address you are getting in the XP boot. do you have the correct drivers for the wireless,

what is the ip address you are getting in the XP boot. do you have the correct drivers for the wireless,

The driver for the IP3945ABG networking card is 10.5.? this is not the latest driver but it was supplied by Sony for the machine
The IP address is 192.168.1.1 for the router and 192.168.1.4 for the machine I manually inserted everything when I installed xp it matches with the other computers except for the last digit of the computer IP.
I had a local "expert" look at it and he shrugged his shoulders and left.
I also downloaded the latest xp drivers from Intel but they would not install so I presume the Sony security system prevents the wrong drive being installed
B

Run Ipconfig /all for the XP machine and post the result.
Start/Run
cmd
ipconfig /all
Access the router web page at 192.168.1.1 and verify that the XP machine is connected.

This is the result of ipconfig/all
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : brian-xp
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Eth
ernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-A9-FB-6B-03

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-77-1D-45-C8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 202.149.208.92

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Personal Area Network
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-C1-E7-6A-35

D:\Documents and Settings\Admin>
Trust this helps I am struggling on this one

Ipconfig reads exactly as it should.
If you can't ping, something is blocking you-it could be a firewall or some setting in the router.
Have you tried a wired connection? What results? Do any computers have a fixed IP?

Are you using "ping 192.168.1.1" ?
If you don't get anywhere, reset the router to defaults and start over.
You might also try resetting the modem-just unplug the power for 10-15 seconds and reconnect, then wait for it to boot. Do this with the router unplugged. Reconnect the router after the modem boots.
Enter 192.168.1.1 in the browser address bar. Does it connect to the router? If not, reset the router to defaults.

Do the other installs use a static IP as well?
Is there any encryption set up?

To me it seems as though the PC thinks it is connected as it has an IP address, although it has been set up as static and may well not be connected to the network.

Does the router show that the PC is connected (maybe a link similar to "attached devices" in the router web interface)?

Bgrimwade,
On the working computer if you run ipconfig /all does the IP/Subnet/and Gateway match the results on the one having an issue? If I was trouble shooting this system I would temporarily disable encryption and set the router and nic to DHCP, and test connectivity.

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.x
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

AJZ

first why are you useing static setting for the ip, change all the setting to automatic, then release ip on the pc, then shut down in this order, PC, modem, router. then reboot modem, wait 3 min, then router, wait 3 min, then pc. then you can connect to the router.

I use the static address on all computers because the router is not detected otherwise. If I go to automatic I get limited access to the network and when I ping I get "destination host unreachable"

The only difference between the two xp2 computers ipconfig/all is Node type - working one says Business non working one says unknown.
The Router is a NETGEAR WG602v3 but I am not sure how to reset it to default

there should be a small hjole in the back where you can use a pen or small pointed object to hol in for a few sec ( 10 sec maybe) then release when all the light on all the ports lights up, once you reset the router try autosetting for dhcp on all the pc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.