Greetings,

I'm a software person but a total noob when it comes to hardware and getting things to work within the spatial dimensions of our universe.

That being said, I've had a HP Pavilion notebook computer for about a year and a half now. It has two internal harddrives at 80gb each both are NTFS, the C: drive operating with a processor but the second drive being more for storage and incapable of running an OS.

I was wondering if there is a way to duplicate the data from the C: drive to the D: drive and then have a doubled efficiency in searching for information. Is this a feature exclusive to a certain brand of computers or is there software somewhere that can make this happen?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I know there are laptops with dual HDs, but are you sure this isn't one drive with two partitions?
You can tell by looking in Disk Management (Right-click My Computer/Manage/Disk Management.
I don't think duplicating the info would help in searching; there would be twice as much info to search, and you'd get duplicate results.
That said, XP's search feature really sucks. You might try something like Google desktop if speeding up search is what you want.

I'm sorry; after discussing this with a friend I realized what I want to do is setup a RAID 0 configuration which splits data between the two hard discs.

Have you determined that there are two HDs? You need to know that first.
Does this Laptop have RAID capability?
While RAID 0 is claimed to have faster speed, which is dubious, some people will tell you it's a bad idea.
Read this for a little background first:
Why RAID Is (Usually) a Terrible Idea
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=29

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.