Windows Vista Home Premium

Everytime I start or restart my computer I have to re-install certain programs such as Flash Player or it gives me a message saying it is not installed (preventing many websites and programs from working). As soon as I "re-install" the program works - UNTIL I restart the computer.

This is happening with other software as well so I know it is NOT a Flash Player problem it is a Vista issue, but HOW do I make the changes stick so when I shut down or restart the computer I don't have to keep re-installing these programs?

Thank you in advance!

K. Robles

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It sounds like your computer isnt shutting down properly as the settings you change arent being saved. Try booting into safe mode installing the program and shutting down again boot back into normal mode and see if the install works.

Thanks, I'll try that and get back to you!

How is This for a twist!?!

When I restart in Safe Mode with Networking - Flash is installed and the other changes work perfectly, but when I restart again in regular mode Flash is "not installed" and the other changes are undone!

Something in Vista is preventing these from working when it starts. If I "reinstall" everything they work in regular mode UNTIL I restart, but if I restart in Safe Mode with Networking I don't have to reinstall anything, it all just works.

Even though it was working, I did use the "uninstall" program from Adobe to uninstall it in safe mode and then I reinstalled it in safe mode. I also ran the unassociate program for the other files and reinstalled the other software in safe mode just in case. When I rebooted in regular mode the changes were gone. I started again in safe mode with networking and all the changes were in effect and flash was installed.

I am ready to pull my hair out! Any ideas???

Thanks,
K

can you download hijackthis and post the log so I can have a quick look. Might help me diagnoise why your getting this problem

I hope this is helpful. I have no idea how to read it or fix anything, lol.

Thanks for your help!

Oh, BTW, I tried using msconfig to keep things from starting to see if I could figure out which item could be the problem but nothing made a difference. The ONLY way that both Flash and the other files work correctly is if I run in safemode/networking or if I run in regular and reinstall everytime. :@ :confused: :ooh: :sweat:

Thanks again. Please let me know if you find anything.

Blessings,
K

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.