Hello all,

I have a potential problem here.
I have 2 XP cd's (laptop and desktop) neither of which are in their product code envelopes.

Now if I should ever have to reinstall XP in the desktop....
How do I figure out which is the correct cd?

I don't feel like crawling behind the desktop right now but there should be a sticker on the back with the product code. Is there a way to 'read' the cd's to see what code is in them?
Then I can ditch the other cd (laptop is getting ubuntu installed) and put it in an envelope with a copy of the product code.

When I put a new HD in I reinstalled XP and it didn't even ask for a code.
But it probably will now that I have misplaced it.

Thanks,

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

All XP retail Cds are the IDENTICAL.

The only ones that arent are some OEM ones - they have the product key stored on the disk so you dont need to specify it.

Download a program called Nlite. Its designed for slipstreaming (integrating service packs and drivers into a new windows cd).

After copying your xp files from the cd to your hard disk using it, just click through the bits about adding drivers, service packs, tweaks etc.... and there will be a section where you can view and edit that disks product key.

This is commonly used so that system administrators can make a bunch of CDs using one product key under a Volume Licencing Agreement

All XP retail Cds are the IDENTICAL.

The only ones that arent are some OEM ones - they have the product key stored on the disk so you dont need to specify it.

as is usually the case with laptops!! most of the time !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.