I have been having this odd issue. In Internet Explorer both 6 and 7, my browser will not open the portal www.excite.com. I have checked all the privacy and security settings and the site is not blocked nor is anything out of the ordinary set for this site. The site pulls up just fine in Firefox and if you put the IP address instead of the DNS name into IE, it will come up, but none of the links work on the web page.

Our network does not have any hardware or software filtering right now or group policies regarding Internet Explorer.

It's a real mystery and I hope someone can help me with it.

Doug

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Are you using a HTTP proxy in your Internet Options?

You can check this by going to Control Panel > Internet Options > "Connections" tab and then "LAN Settings".

Firefox has its own proxy settings box, and from experience have found that it will not use the proxy used by MSIE unless it is also specified in Firefox.

Actually, I should have posted that I was able to solve the issue. The particular site I was trying to access was www.excite.com and all of it's sub-domains. I found that a recent spybot update that ran was somehow blocking the site from being accessed in IE. After I un-installed the spybot, the site became accessible again.

Actually, I should have posted that I was able to solve the issue. The particular site I was trying to access was www.excite.com and all of it's sub-domains. I found that a recent spybot update that ran was somehow blocking the site from being accessed in IE. After I un-installed the spybot, the site became accessible again.

Very strange... sounds like the spybot MSIE plugin is a bit too overactive on blocking things. I have to admit though, it seems a bit over the top as excite.com has been around for a long time! If other people are having the same problem (definitely possible if you weren't aware how it had happened), the owners of excite.com may not be too happy :(

Anyway, glad its working now :)

The site is a likely indirect source of spyware, as it is a web searcher.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.