Hey guys, I'm new here and I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

My problem is that whenever i click on my local disk C:\ on My Computer, i get a "C:\ Access is denied" message. I can open my drive C:\ by typing it on the address bar and by exploring it. I can also access all the files and folders inside the drive. The only problem I see really is that I can't click C:\ from My Computer.

It's been a while since I've last accessed C:\ from My Computer so I can't really point out when exactly the problem started. The only drastic thing I've done with my laptop so far is install an Ericsson PC suite (which I've already uninstalled to see if that was causing the problem but it wasn't). I've also tried a system restore but I don't know how far back I should go since, again, I can't point out exactly when the problem started.

I'm also logged in as an administrator and I've granted myself total access to everything. I've run an antivirus and antispyware and I've cleaned up my registry using CCleaner but all these didn't seem to do anything.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with an NTFS drive.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Explore the drive using the address bar.

Then right click C:\

Double check the permissions and make sure "System" has full permissions and just for a test you could also set C:\

If it barks about access then go to advanced and "take ownership"

hey, thanks for the reply.

i'm sorry but i don't really understand what you mean by take ownership.

oh and i've also checked the security tab in c:'s properties and there's only one group or username (everyone) and as for permissions for everyone, all the boxes under allow are checked except for special permissions.

i can only go to the security tab though when i'm in safe mode.

update:

I also used this "who locked me?" program and tried to find out what's locking my C:\ and found out that it's explorer.exe.

I'm not sure if that's any help though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.