eMachine T3418 on board 10/100 ethernet. Went into control panel (win xp home), network connections, properties. Checked the box to: show icon in notification area when connected, and the network connection was lost. Device manager showed yellow exclaimation next to Device Unknown - nVidia network controller. Uninstalled the driver then reboot the computer. Windows halfway finds new hardware, saying the new found hardware may not work correctly if the machine is not rebooted. Reboot, and same thing. No network connection. Downloaded drivers from the web didn't help. Disabling the on board controller and adding a pci Realtek 10/100 card didn't work. Anyone else seen this strange behavior?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

vista has problems with some nvidia chipset network controllers , so i assume xp does too. check MS update for hotfixes (use custom not express)

when you disable the on board controller did you ENABLE the pci slot. get the latest drivers, remove BOTH devices in hardware, then SHUTDOWN remove the pci card, restart the PC go in the bios disable both PCI and on board. then restart the pc. check in hardware to ensure that non of the devices are showing with any warnings ( yellow circle with exclamation, questions sign or red X)

vista has problems with some nvidia chipset network controllers , so i assume xp does too. check MS update for hotfixes (use custom not express)

that is a sound idea but they lost there network connection ,any ideas how they will getto windows updates !
i have had this problem with onbaord nics before but i have a usb -nic hub to get on and got to windows update to get he drivers ,also strange why the pci nic didn't work .something strange going on.
also you don't need to disable it in the bios as it can be disable in the device manager ,i have onboard and a pci device and do it that way

that is a sound idea but they lost there network connection ,any ideas how they will getto windows updates !

using a flash drive or cd duh

using a flash drive or cd duh

please explain .as the windows updates need to scan the computer to find the nic in question to didplay a updated driver ,so they would need to connect to the internet on the computer .also they tried reloading drives and tried installing a pci nic

fine w/e

also, you can get windows updates without using windows update - just find the updates you need by googling and download them or altervatively use a program called WUD

fine w/e

also, you can get windows updates without using windows update - just find the updates you need by googling and download them or altervatively use a program called WUD

I am a very argumentative person but i will stop here,by saying just one more thing ,they are not looking for windows updates they are looking to get network working .you suggested they use custom windows updates to see if it had a driver update for there onboard nic ,so it has nothing to do with Windows update download program ,it will not download the nic driver for them ! that it i said enough !!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.