Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

i don't know if it bad ram ,you asked any ideas ,and bad ram is what comes to mind ,you can start by using memtest86 to test ram ,but also in my last post i asked a couple of questions and you didn't answer them yet.

i don't know if it bad ram ,you asked any ideas ,and bad ram is what comes to mind ,you can start by using memtest86 to test ram ,but also in my last post i asked a couple of questions and you didn't answer them yet.

I dont think that error message is associated with the "invalid hook handle." My computer every once in a while when i boot it up just shuts off and restarts itself. THats what happened when i took that screenshot. The shut off and restart was a stop error which I also am having problems with. I send the report back to microsoft and it says the source of the problem is unknown so that didn't help me at all.

your pc is probable overheating and shuts down to protect itself. check the CPU and verify that the thermal grease is ok and the fan on the heat sink is is operational.

Did you install any new program or hardware recently. and what was it.

your pc is probable overheating and shuts down to protect itself. check the CPU and verify that the thermal grease is ok and the fan on the heat sink is is operational.

Did you install any new program or hardware recently. and what was it.

The last device I installed was about a couple of months ago. It is an ebook, 750 GB external harddrive. About the thermal grease, how do I know if its okay? Im not very computer savvy. Thanks.

Have you tried uninstalling Spyware Doctor, if you are able to keep your sys running long enough? Stop it via Task Manager if you only have a brief chance to act. If ther is not time for even that before your sys crashes then you may have to use Recovery Console to remove its exe to stop it running.

Have you tried uninstalling Spyware Doctor, if you are able to keep your sys running long enough? Stop it via Task Manager if you only have a brief chance to act. If ther is not time for even that before your sys crashes then you may have to use Recovery Console to remove its exe to stop it running.

You think its Spyware Doctor that is doing this to my computer? When you say to stop it, what would it be called?

Although I am sure you have found them already, the three SD processes are: SDTrayApp.exe, svcntaux.exe, and swdsvc.exe
You can possibly stop it via the SD control panel, but ending those processes will do it also.
My advice is to stop SD from running, uninstall it and then reinstall.

Although I am sure you have found them already, the three SD processes are: SDTrayApp.exe, svcntaux.exe, and swdsvc.exe
You can possibly stop it via the SD control panel, but ending those processes will do it also.
My advice is to stop SD from running, uninstall it and then reinstall.

I found one, thanks for telling me the others. I uninstalled SD but I dont remember installing it in the first place. I think it came when I downloaded Firefox or something.

Okay, do let us know how things turn out.

Okay, do let us know how things turn out.

My computer must be totally broken because I turned it on (w/o re-installing SD) and I played a WMV on WMP and there was a problem. It froze and I restarted the computer, when it finished loading again I tried playing the video again and it worked better but about 3 or 4 minutes in it froze again and it restarted. Low and behold it was another stop error. I don't understand what is happening? It's really frustrating. I sent the error report back to microsoft (this is probably the 10th one I've sent) and I dont know what will happen from there. Any ideas? It says the stop error was caused by the device driver.

but in the winxp cd and boot to it and hit "R" to go to recovery console and type in,
chkdsk /r

but = put

but in the winxp cd and boot to it and hit "R" to go to recovery console and type in,
chkdsk /r

will this cause me to lose data?

No. Moreso, it recovers some disk errors.

will this cause me to lose data?

sorry, i should have explained it better ,NO data loss ,chkdsk check your harddrive for errors and the /r tell it to repair the errors its finds

sorry, i should have explained it better ,NO data loss ,chkdsk check your harddrive for errors and the /r tell it to repair the errors its finds

Oh okay, I'll do that later tonight and I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks alot, I didn't think anybody would be willing to help me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.