To all you brave people who maybe are going to try and help me fix my problem.

After some cleaning work I done on my computer I mentioned that I accidently removed the sound operating system. (or whatever you would like to call it). To get it back I tried to reload a storage point from my system from 3 days ago. But after I did this and restarted my computer Ony the background (wallpaper appeard without any icons or a start menu. The only thing that still worked was the control pannel when you push ctrl+alt+del. I tried to start up explorer manual by giving my control pannel pannel a new task by typing explorer.exe

But this won't work...I tried all kind of things but I can't get my icons and bars back :sad:

Anyone has an possible solotion...And if you have...please try to write it on normal people language...I'm not that much into computers like most of you maybe are :cheesy:

Tnx already ;)

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Try going back further on your system restore.

I wish I could, but I can't get back to that option anymore the normal way because the start bar and the desktop won't show up anymore :(...

Anyone knows how to do this or another solution?

I wish that was possible, but I don't know any commands for that due I can't get my system rostore point the usual way because I lost my whole desktop. The only funtion I can acces is the ctrl+alt+del.

Anyone knows how to get another restore point in another way or has another solution:?:

I wish that was possible, but I don't know any commands for that due I can't get my system rostore point the usual way because I lost my whole desktop. The only funtion I can acces is the ctrl+alt+del.

Anyone knows how to get another restore point in another way or has another solution:?:

Can you see your desktop in safe mode just keep pressing f8 while booting. This is the exe. for system restore -
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Or run msconfig from task manger and you can open system restore from there.

See if you can see desktop in safe mode first though. :cool:

That second option seemed like it would really work in my situation....but it did not :sad: The message appears that I can't use the function untill I rebooted, but after doing that I still get the same message...safe mode start I already tries myself a few times with different options, also with F8. And you last solution wasn't a directory if I have to believe what the stupid machine says.

I'm really really glad you are trying to help me. Hope you have some other options maybe.

Tnx

That second option seemed like it would really work in my situation....but it did not :sad: The message appears that I can't use the function untill I rebooted, but after doing that I still get the same message...safe mode start I already tries myself a few times with different options, also with F8. And you last solution wasn't a directory if I have to believe what the stupid machine says.

I'm really really glad you are trying to help me. Hope you have some other options maybe.

Tnx

These commands should work i tried them myself before posting them. Sounds like you have a corrupt operating system if theses commands won't run.
Have you tried running a full CHKDSK it could fix some of the errors your getting?:?:

To all you brave people who maybe are going to try and help me fix my problem.

After some cleaning work I done on my computer I mentioned that I accidently removed the sound operating system. (or whatever you would like to call it). To get it back I tried to reload a storage point from my system from 3 days ago. But after I did this and restarted my computer Ony the background (wallpaper appeard without any icons or a start menu. The only thing that still worked was the control pannel when you push ctrl+alt+del. I tried to start up explorer manual by giving my control pannel pannel a new task by typing explorer.exe

But this won't work...I tried all kind of things but I can't get my icons and bars back :sad:

Anyone has an possible solotion...And if you have...please try to write it on normal people language...I'm not that much into computers like most of you maybe are :cheesy:

Tnx already ;)

Hi Tnx, next time you turn on your PC, as soon as you boot up, press the F8 button on your keyboard repeatedly. Do not hold down as it will register an error. You should then be given options for booting, pick boot in Safe Mode, this should load only the applications needed just to boot. After it has booted, you should see no desktop wallpaper, just a few icons on your desktop set as a dark background. Now go Start/Run, type in 'msconfig' and press Enter. This will bring up the System Utility Configuration. At the top far right, click the tab Start Up ( do not change any other settings in this configuration except Start Up). In the start up window, is a list of applications. If too many are ticked and your RAM is too low, your PC can't load everything so gets as far as desktop and hasn't any RAM left to load anything else. Just untick any non-microsoft applications, Office is OK to untick. And if you see any of your personal ISP applications, don't untick them either. Then click OK. Then click 'exit and restart now' . On restart, you may be offered the boot up choice again, pick 'Start Windows Normally'. After hopefully your PC boots up OK this time, a configuration window will open, just informing some changes have been made, tick bottom left corner 'Do Not Show Again'. If this solves your problem, then increase your RAM, but also any future applications, either downloaded or CD installed, untick in the same way. Hope this helps.
Eamonn.

I tried something nice now :rolleyes:

Since system recovery wasn't possible I tried to overwrite windows. Everything seemed to go pretty well [U]untill[/U] the setup from my new windows tried to start. The computer started itself up in safe mode in wich it isn't possible to run the setup. After pressing F8 at restart and selecting normal start mode it wouldn't work at all. The stupid thing kept starting itself up in safe mode....Is there any other way to force this thing to start up normally or something else I should do because I'm getting pretty mad on that thing.

Tnx :mrgreen:

I tried something nice now :rolleyes:

Since system recovery wasn't possible I tried to overwrite windows. Everything seemed to go pretty well [U]untill[/U] the setup from my new windows tried to start. The computer started itself up in safe mode in wich it isn't possible to run the setup. After pressing F8 at restart and selecting normal start mode it wouldn't work at all. The stupid thing kept starting itself up in safe mode....Is there any other way to force this thing to start up normally or something else I should do because I'm getting pretty mad on that thing.

Tnx :mrgreen:

Hi Tnx, try what I suggested in my last post. You said you don't want to overcomplicate things, why are you trying to overwrite windows? Read my last post, if you think you have enough RAM already, remember RAM does somtimes fail, or loosens from it's slot. Start in safe mode, Right Click on 'My Computer' icon, click properties, this will tell you how much RAM is avaliable to your PC. Also putting all this effort into accessing Sytem Restore, is wasted as system restore does not always do what it says and fails. Again refer to my last post.
Eamonn.

It would be nice if I saw anything of icons at the beginning of this topic already, but there isn't anything than my wallpaper :sad:

It would be nice if I saw anything of icons at the beginning of this topic already, but there isn't anything than my wallpaper :sad:

I have already suggested this, so just pasted it, some, not all icons will appear after booting in safe mode.
Hi Tnx, next time you turn on your PC, as soon as you boot up, press the F8 button on your keyboard repeatedly. Do not hold down as it will register an error. You should then be given options for booting, pick boot in Safe Mode, this should load only the applications needed just to boot. After it has booted, you should see no desktop wallpaper, just a few icons on your desktop set as a dark background. Now go Start/Run, type in 'msconfig' and press Enter. This will bring up the System Utility Configuration. At the top far right, click the tab Start Up ( do not change any other settings in this configuration except Start Up). In the start up window, is a list of applications. If too many are ticked and your RAM is too low, your PC can't load everything so gets as far as desktop and hasn't any RAM left to load anything else. Just untick any non-microsoft applications, Office is OK to untick. And if you see any of your personal ISP applications, don't untick them either. Then click OK. Then click 'exit and restart now' . On restart, you may be offered the boot up choice again, pick 'Start Windows Normally'. After hopefully your PC boots up OK this time, a configuration window will open, just informing some changes have been made, tick bottom left corner 'Do Not Show Again'. If this solves your problem, then increase your RAM, but also any future applications, either downloaded or CD installed, untick in the same way. Hope this helps.
Eamonn.

Yeah I really read your advice, but I tried to boot it in safe mode serveral times already before :mrgreen: ....but all what appears then is a black screen with the message that my pc is currently in safe mode....not even my wallpaper.... I don't know what to do anymore, so I'm gonna look for a cd which can clean my whole pc so I can start over again....anyone knows a good program for that?

Yeah I really read your advice, but I tried to boot it in safe mode serveral times already before :mrgreen: ....but all what appears then is a black screen with the message that my pc is currently in safe mode....not even my wallpaper.... I don't know what to do anymore, so I'm gonna look for a cd which can clean my whole pc so I can start over again....anyone knows a good program for that?

When you boot in safe mode, you wont see your wallpaper, I did explain this, but if you read again you can still access as normal the 'Run' utility, it's just that you've got a black background. Remember safe mode only loads essentials at start up, wallpaper does not fit into this category. Until you sort yor current problem out, how are you going to use a CD ? If there is 1 on the market. Once in safe mode you can delete all the rubbish you have on the hard drive. There are are a lot of copycat programs out there, that look like proper applications but are actually malware. Anything that begins with Win like Winfixer, Winregistry etc also 1 I come across a lot is a prog called Messenger Plus, it even has a logo that looks like the MSM butterfly, but they are nothing but spyware progs that are difficult to get rid off.
Eamonn.

if ur running windows xp, put in ur windows cd and do a repair installation from there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.