So... I got a new computer and decided to try and upgrade the old one. I went out and bought a DDR2 card. Come to find out, the slot was actually for a regular DDR card. Somehow it fit into my RAM slot, but when i hit the power, it wouldn't boot. Now,all it will do is spin the fans. It won't even put anything on my monitor. I have no idea what the problem is. I checked my MOBO for scorching and there wasnt any. PLEASE HELP!!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Finish this sentence for me:

I took out the new DDR2 memory and replaced it with the old memory and my computer....

A. (Does the same thing)

B. (Works just fine now)

C. (Went up in a cloud of sparks and smoke)

D. (Started flying about the room like a bird)

E. (Other)

So... I got a new computer and decided to try and upgrade the old one. I went out and bought a DDR2 card. Come to find out, the slot was actually for a regular DDR card. :scared: but when i hit the power, it wouldn't boot. Now,all it will do is spin the fans. It won't even put anything on my monitor. :twisted: I checked my MOBO for scorching and there wasnt any. PLEASE HELP!!

are you for real, you fit a ddr2 in a regular ddr slot and you say you dont know what the problem is

MEMORY IS MADE FOOL PROOF. IT CAN ONLY GO IN ONE WAY

lol i had the same problem when i bought DDR ram by accident instead of DDR2...

if the RAM did fry your MOBO then you might want to call your PC Manufacturer, if anything else and a cocroach fried your mobo like what happened to my old pc, kill them all MWAH HAW HAW

@Oompa D, I'm sorry you ran into problems with your new RAM. I'm also sorry that the people here at DaniWeb seem to think your problems are more for their entertainment than a request for help.

As far as I know, there is a chance your motherboard might be okay. It depends on exactly what you did.

If you are still looking for help here, I'm afraid DaniWeb seems to be the wrong place. ExtremeTech or Tech Support are just a couple of forums that might help you properly. They have experts who remember when they, too, began their own process of learning about computers.

ok im sorry for my bad post above, i have a new test for you to perform. if you can get the motherboard to boot windows xp, download pc doctor 5, and run a test on motherboard, RAM and CPU. if it finds nothing wrong, check to see if your video output is dead. my 8800GTS wasnt detected by my mobo while it was having problems, still having them now ='-S. now i have to use onboard and even the PCI-E slot doesnt work anymore.

Finish this sentence for me:

I took out the new DDR2 memory and replaced it with the old memory and my computer....

A. (Does the same thing)

B. (Works just fine now)

C. (Went up in a cloud of sparks and smoke)

D. (Started flying about the room like a bird)

E. (Other)

That would be A. It definately does the same thing even if there is no RAM in it at all.

It is guaranteed not to work without any RAM. I feel that if your sys will not work with the old [which I presume did work?] or new RAM then the mobo is in some way damaged. But as pointed out earlier, the DDR and DDR2 keyways are different, as are the number of pins.... perhaps it did not insert fully, but with pins overlapping anything could happen.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.