I’ve recently been using a photo editing software package. When manipulating an image I get an error message, “Windows Virtual Memory Size Too Low. I’ve reset the Virtual Memory size in Performance Options to Min: 965 and Max. 1000 but still see the same error.

When I run Task Manager during the time I’m use the application I notice that CPU usage is usually around 4% and PF Usage is at around 740Meg. If I stop manipulating a photo image the PF Usage never seems to drop. If I continue to manipulate a photo (i.e. continue using the application) the PF usage continues to increase but never drops regardless of what I do. I suspect that this is the problem. How do I get my system to release the PF usage if this indeed the problem?

I’m running a P IV 3.06 MHz processor (Hyper threading) with 512Megs. Of RAM. There is over 60 Gig. of free hard disk space so this shouldn’t be an issue.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Glenn.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

It's possible that the particular editing program you're using has a memory leak; do some research on the company's website and on Goolge to see if this might be a known, documented issue.

Also, since you have a lot of disk space, you could try increasing the size of your VM even further.

I increase the size of Virtual memory to 1012 and a max. of 4096. Still see the same problem. I'll have a look at the company's web site.

Thanks.
Glenn.

I’ve recently been using a photo editing software package. When manipulating an image I get an error message, “Windows Virtual Memory Size Too Low. I’ve reset the Virtual Memory size in Performance Options to Min: 965 and Max. 1000 but still see the same error.

When I run Task Manager during the time I’m use the application I notice that CPU usage is usually around 4% and PF Usage is at around 740Meg. If I stop manipulating a photo image the PF Usage never seems to drop. If I continue to manipulate a photo (i.e. continue using the application) the PF usage continues to increase but never drops regardless of what I do. I suspect that this is the problem. How do I get my system to release the PF usage if this indeed the problem?

I’m running a P IV 3.06 MHz processor (Hyper threading) with 512Megs. Of RAM. There is over 60 Gig. of free hard disk space so this shouldn’t be an issue.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Glenn.

Considering what you described about the program's use of resources, it might very well be a memory leak. However, you should look at options/preferences in the program itself for something that might define the program's use of resources; perhaps its behaviour in that area can be adjusted.

If you'd like, give us the name of the application; we might be able to find some info on the application that could help solve the problem.

what graphic software are you using?

what type of file are you manipulating?

how big is the file you are manipulating? file size and resolution?

I've seen this before with XP, definitely sounds like a memory leak...I would look for an updated version of that software that's compatible with XP.

commented: Why? because you know your shit. +3

What type of computer is this? Is it an Intel chip and chipset?

I've seen this be caused by software in two occasions: 1, with Intel Application Accelerator. Uninstall it, and see what happens if you have it. And, 2, with spyware. If you suspect number 2, consult some of the threads in the Security forum.

I was getting this message for awhile when I had a trojan infection, once I got rid of the trojan, I haven't had the message since.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.