Hi all, I have enabled and configured RRAS on my Windows 2003 server (IIS) machine to perform basic firewalling. I have enabled it and all works from the outside world, however, I cannot connect to the outside world on the machine. But the outside world (web users, FTP, etc...) can connect to me.

I have a single NIC with a public IP only. I haven't used any Internal network IPs - I configured RRAS to user services but pointed them to the public IP. It works, for people connecting... web users can browse the server, but when I'm at the terminal, I am unable to browse the internet or connect outbound to any other network using tcp/ip.

outbound tcp/ip hosts aren't pingable, tracert-able, nslookup won't work (can't find DNS server), etc... I enabled IP filtering with rules that allowed DNS (TCP/UPD port 53) and enabled all outbound traffic... not really sure what I am doing incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fixed it on my own.... it's so funny how RRAS is so unknown and rarely talked about. Great tool for securing web servers without the need for purchasing a software or hardware firewall.

Fixed it on my own.... it's so funny how RRAS is so unknown and rarely talked about. Great tool for securing web servers without the need for purchasing a software or hardware firewall.

I realize this thread is quite dated and you may no longer be around, however, what did you do to solve the problem?

Thanks,

Tim

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.