I have a stupid question. I have Outlook on my PC (Windows 2003). I have an email account that I set up just fine - it's been working for months. I tried to set up an email account for a coworker using the very same isp information etc... on his computer (it's older, WindowsXP) and it will NOT work. When I go through all the testing it tells me that it cannot log on to the incoming mail server. I thought - I'll set up an account for him on my computer, maybe that is the problem. Go through the same stuff - no dice. No matter what I do, using the same information that everyone else in this entire office used, I am told that the incoming mail server rejected the login. Could this mean that the ISP does not have an address set up for him on their end?? I was able to send a test message to myself from his email when I had a profile for him on my computer. Any emails I tried to send to outside people were rejected. I am so at a loss with this sort of thing and sadly I am the most tech savvy in my office. I could not do this for a living! Anyway, sorry for the dumb question...
Thanks in advance
eowyn0622

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hey, don't worry; we all started somewhere! Just two years ago, I didn't know how to do any of that stuff either; now I'm working for the same corporation as one of their lead network admins... :) Asking questions is how EVERYONE learns... even when reading a book, you ask yourself "How" or "Why".

Anyways, what is the mail server domain (i.e., user@domain.com)? Are you sure the account has been setup?

Well, I think the mail server domain is andrew@sheppardmansion.com. It's the part after the @ that is the mail server domain, right? That is what is at the end of everyone else's email address at my job. This guy started last year, but he has just always used his hotmail account for business. Now we have all sorts of stuff going on there and he needs a work email. According to my boss he has a viable email address (she already printed it on his cards)... Did she need to tell our internet service provider that we want to add an address? Or should I be able to make any address like 123@sheppardmansion.com or poopypants@sheppardmansion.com if I want to?
Seriously, this sort of stuff makes my head hurt. I know just enough that I can do the basics on my computer, and play games of course :) , but once I step out of the norm I am in trouble.

ps - congrats on learning so fast! 2 years. I agree that you should never stop asking questions

thanks!

Alright, do you know who hosts sheppardmansion.com? From what you say, it's your ISP, correct?

Call them and ask them to step you through setting up a new email account. Tell them once it's setup, you need to use Microsoft Outlook to access it, and see if they can help you with that as well. This way, if a new employee arrives and needs an email address, you'll know what to do and won't have to call them to get the email account setup.

I have an email account , that is 'yahoo' I am
useing windows xp, for setup Outlook express I use my email address, but when I want to send a message coming
Error message:

The host 'pop3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop3', Server: 'pop3', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

what to do ? please in form me.

yahoo, unless you use a paid service, doesn't usually allow pop3 access. I might be wrong, been some time since I last used their email...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.