Is it possible to replace a motherboard and CPU without losing data? I have Win Xp Pro installed on one of the two hard drives, the other is also defectie. I would like to transfer this hard drive, cd and dvd writers into a new box or if at all possible just replace the mothercoard and CPU in the old box. Either way my hope is to retain all the programmes and if possible the operating system as well. I have a legal copy of the XP Pro that is installed.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

if the XP Pro is OEM version (came with the system / dealer) then you will need to buy a new one. you baught it retail in a shop (more expensive), then you can reuse it again

when you replace the motherboard, windows will no longer boot. dont know how to kee p your programs/data

Windows should auto detect the new board and configure itself and the drivers accordingly. This is most effective if both motherboads share the same chipset.

Actually I should clarify this is only true with Windows XP (I think, Might work with vista to)

In some cases you may need to reinstall the operating system, I would back up what is most important to you first and then replace the motherboard.

you can do a repair install it will sometimes work .I just done it yesterday ,changed motherboard .and it worked all data still in tact .
but you have to have retail xp as recovery cd's don't give the second R for repair .
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Computers never stop annoying me, opened up the box and had a good fiddle, pushed and pulled and everything is now working! Just to gild the lily downloaded the latest drivers which incidentally made no discernible difference. So new motherboard is on hold.

Computers never stop annoying me, opened up the box and had a good fiddle, pushed and pulled and everything is now working! Just to gild the lily downloaded the latest drivers which incidentally made no discernible difference. So new motherboard is on hold.

Yea,OK.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.