Hi,

I have a problen with my laptop (Gateway MX3101b) It's running XP home sp2. It was running slowly recently and Mc Afee did'nt find any threats, I removed mc afee and installed symantec corporate edition, symantec found a trojan of some sort (did'nt note the name sorry!)I removed the risk and re-started windows, upon restarting of windows explorer runs for about 10 seconds before crashing! In task manager I can run explorer but it does the same & I noticed SVCHOST has 6 or 7 processes running? This seems unusual as my desktop only runs 4 svchost processes! I'm stuck with this and it has effectively turned my laptop into a glorified picture frame!!! Any help will be appreciated, Thanks Kev.

run this scan from the command prompt sfc /scannow it will tell you if any system file is missing or corrupted. you might need to have your XP cd

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.