An Excel file was saved yesterday with filters set on 4 columns.
On opening it today, an error message was issued, saying that problems were encountered in the area of Autofilter.
Any idea on the reason? Above all, is it possible to retrieve the data of the sheet in some way if the problem can't be solved?
Thanks for any suggestion
Carla

I thought maybe I could open my file with the corresponding version of Excel Viewer, but the response was: "Microsoft Excel Viewer cannot open files of this type" :icon_eek:
Other files created or changed on the same day were opened with no problems, so I think the reason is that that particular file has errors.

We have solved the problem: the most difficult part was getting to view the log file Excel had created!!
I'm not a total newbie, but I could not believe that when you view a folder you can access a subfolder just typing its name in the address bar, even if the same subfolder is not shown in the list (note: I had checked "View hidden files" and even "View system files"!!).

With the help of the log file, we found the error and fixed it opening the file in text mode and correcting the Autofilter section of the xml code:

<AutoFilterColumn x:Index="2" x:Type="Custom">
<AutoFilterCondition x:Operator="Equals" x:Value="8436"/>
</AutoFilterColumn>
<AutoFilterColumn x:Index="8" x:Type="Custom">
<AutoFilterCondition x:Operator="DoesNotEqual" x:Value="SI'"/>
</AutoFilterColumn>
<AutoFilterColumn x:Type="Custom">
<AutoFilterCondition x:Operator="DoesNotEqual"#REF! x:Value=""/>
</AutoFilterColumn>
</AutoFilter>

I just had to remove that "#REF!" string that had corrupted the code.

I still can't believe I fixed an XML error being only a Cobol programmer and VB newbie, now I have to think what my colleague will have to treat me to, being she the actual owner of the file and the one who was about to go crazy for losing two days' work!!

I hope this case will help someone in this wonderful community.

An Excel file was saved yesterday with filters set on 4 columns.
On opening it today, an error message was issued, saying that problems were encountered in the area of Autofilter.
Any idea on the reason? Above all, is it possible to retrieve the data of the sheet in some way if the problem can't be solved?
Thanks for any suggestion
Carla

Hi,

If the error still exists, I think you can try a utility called Advanced Excel Repair to repair your Excel xls file. It works rather well for my corrupt Excel xls files.

Just post to see if it helps.

Alan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.