Hi all - my laptop used to work with wireless, but now it says "Invalid IP Address". So I did the ipconfig/release and the ipconfig/renew. But then it said it can't change the IP address because some media thing wasn't connected? Now not sure what to do. I'm at work on my work PC now, so can't access the exact error message my laptop gave me. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If you are getting a media error, it could be a simple fix. When you get home, post the exact error, and we should be able to get you fixed up....

Oh and by the way...I am not sure I will be online later tonight, but I will check it out first thing in the morning!

Thanks - I'll try and get that error message asap.

I got the error message. It's "No operation can be performed on Wireless Network while it has it's media disconnected". Make any sense to you?

Yes I have came across this error a time or two in the past.......let me finish up something here (I am at work) and I will get back to you in about an hour!!

Ok, you might start with the basics....Does your wireless have an external power switch or slider. If it does this switch/slider has to be activated. If it is turned on you may have to check your wireless properties to make sure that your wireless is enabled. If all of this works out, check your settings in the properties to assure that you can connect to available networks. Depending on the laptop, you might have more than one wireless manager working at the same time. If both managers are activated, deactivate one, and try the other (and vice-versa). If none of the above is the issue, check to make sure you have the most up to date driver for your wireless device. If it tells you that your driver is the most up to date, uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them. If any of these options do not work, repost and we will try something different. One last thing you could try is powering down your laptop, and once it is shut off, remove the battery for a minute and then return the battery as well as powering on your laptop. This will refresh a lot of settings that may have been accidentally changed. So let me kow how it goes....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.