:( Hi everybody.

Here I am with a new thread as I reckon that I am a real nerd sometimes. Here's what I've done a couple of hours ago. I downloaded IE6 after removing IE7, which has proved to be a pain.

I have Windows XP SP2, by the way.

Apparently, it all seemed fine, until I opened the IE - surprise, surprise:-O ... not connecting to the internet "Webpage cannot be displayed"... and then it says that I am offline.

I have tried everything to my knowledge in order to fix this situation - reinstalled the IE7, could not find the IE in the "Add/Remove Programs" from within Control Panel, which I also found quite odd.

Anyway after one whole hour between downloading, updating, blah blah blah..... nothing worked yet. After that I even tried the "System Restore" feature and nothing happened either. This thing is really getting on my nerves now (I am aware that it was my fault in the first place:'( )...

But still, could someone help me fix this issue please? I am so sorry to trouble you guys. Thanks for any help or assistance. Tony

:icon_confused: :icon_confused: :icon_confused:

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

download mozilla's Firefox browser .better that that piece of shit IE anyway .
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Thanks for your advice anyway. I have had it for a long time as well. The thing here is that some stuff from within MS Office applications won't work on Firefox, I'm afraid.

Hugs.

Tony:icon_mad:

Thanks for your advice anyway. I have had it for a long time as well. The thing here is that some stuff from within MS Office applications won't work on Firefox, I'm afraid.

Hugs.

Tony:icon_mad:

ok,you say ie7 was a pain,what is you definition of a pain ,what problems were you having with it .I don't use it myself ,but do install it on used computers that i sell ,as i thing its best installed on a clean install of windows xp.
what are the specs of you computer ,ie: CPU speed ,amount of ram ect ect .
you say you did everything to you knowledge ,did you do a trojan/spyware scan .
Spybot search and destroy is a good scanner to start with .get it if you don't all ready have it .at www.filehippo.com

ok,you say ie7 was a pain,what is you definition of a pain ,what problems were you having with it .I don't use it myself ,but do install it on used computers that i sell ,as i thing its best installed on a clean install of windows xp.
what are the specs of you computer ,ie: CPU speed ,amount of ram ect ect .
you say you did everything to you knowledge ,did you do a trojan/spyware scan .
Spybot search and destroy is a good scanner to start with .get it if you don't all ready have it .at www.filehippo.com

My definition of "pain" is exactly this: it's really annoying when I forget that I have more than one tab open, and then if I close any it shows an error and closes down. I have unistalled IE7 a number of times and then reinstalled it. The odd thing is that apparently the whole thing gets back, not to mention the Favourites and Bookmarks, which are all there. It's like I never uninstalled it. And mind you that it takes a good while until the whole download, installation and setting-up conclude.

CPU Speed - (Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1466 Mhz(
Amount of RAM - 448 MB

I have got Spybot indeed, but am not sure what I can delete or not - I do check the descriptions and all that; but am afraid of causing some malfunction. Would it be safe to eliminate what the Spybot detects? How could I eventually tell the right from wrong?

Thanks a lot for your precious help, you're showing me the way...

Tony:icon_redface:

My definition of "pain" is exactly this: it's really annoying when I forget that I have more than one tab open, and then if I close any it shows an error and closes down. I have unistalled IE7 a number of times and then reinstalled it. The odd thing is that apparently the whole thing gets back, not to mention the Favourites and Bookmarks, which are all there. It's like I never uninstalled it. And mind you that it takes a good while until the whole download, installation and setting-up conclude.

CPU Speed - (Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1466 Mhz(
Amount of RAM - 448 MB

I have got Spybot indeed, but am not sure what I can delete or not - I do check the descriptions and all that; but am afraid of causing some malfunction. Would it be safe to eliminate what the Spybot detects? How could I eventually tell the right from wrong?

Thanks a lot for your precious help, you're showing me the way...

Tony:icon_redface:

i remove all that spybot finds ,always did ,and never had any problems ,its usually only tracking cookies, if you do a regular weekly scan .
and you problem with ie7 are just the more than one tap thing !

i remove all that spybot finds ,always did ,and never had any problems ,its usually only tracking cookies, if you do a regular weekly scan .
and you problem with ie7 are just the more than one tap thing !

Do you reckon I should install the IE8 now or...? Which one would you reccomend?

And, by the way, I just did a Spybot scan and deleted all the items shown.

Thanks for everything.

Tony;)

P.S. As for the IE7, not really sure how to go about it.

Do you reckon I should install the IE8 now or...? Which one would you reccomend?

And, by the way, I just did a Spybot scan and deleted all the items shown.

Thanks for everything.

Tony;)

P.S. As for the IE7, not really sure how to go about it.

giving your computer specs,a little low ,I would install IE6 and stick with it .IE7/8 is a big software update for a older computer like yours .that is unless it was install first thing after a fresh install of winxp .only my opinion !!
If you want it just for the tab features ,use firefox for that ,and IE 6 for things that need IE

giving your computer specs,a little low ,I would install IE6 and stick with it .IE7/8 is a big software update for a older computer like yours .that is unless it was install first thing after a fresh install of winxp .only my opinion !!
If you want it just for the tab features ,use firefox for that ,and IE 6 for things that need IE

Well, thanks again for your good tips, that would normally work out for some - mind you that I even did install IE6 and it was kind of a tragedy as it would try to connect via a dial-up connection, instead. It gave me some grief but I managed to get rid of it. You know what, I'll stick to IE7 for now, as it's got some features which help me build my website on Windows Office Live Small Business. What can we do? And btw, my laptop is a TOSHIBA L30 and just over one year old:D

Anyway take good care. mate!

Big hug. Tony;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.