heres my advice to the first question

READ IF YOUR A NEWBIE

was I was trying to tell him is that he had two OS on his hardrive untill everyone picked it apart and plus I had just woke up so stop getting your panties in a bunch guys

No, he formatted and reinstalled. That's not installing over a previous installation, that's wiping the drive clean and starting over.

His partitions are messed up. How that happened has yet to be determined.

By your math, he should have three partitions. Two 8 gig, and one 4 gig. If that were so, he should see three hard drives along with his cd-roms in My Computer, not one and two optical drives.

Jeff, you can use fdisk without damaging anything, as long as the only option you select is #4, to view information about the current partition table. Create a system boot disk, drop fdisk.exe on there and boot off of that floppy. Choose yes when a box pops up, then select #4. Tell us what that says.

I'm betting that it will show a partition of roughly 4100MB and ~16000MB unpartitioned. If that's the case, again, your partitions got messed up somehow.

http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161930

I wrote that. I think it gives a decent definition of how fdisk works.

Thanks again for all your help. I think I know what I need to do. Unfortunatly I wont have time to do it until this weekend at the latest. When I do get it done, I'll write back and let you know how it went. Thanks again for all your help. Wish me luck! :cheesy:

By the way, nice write-up on the FDisk. :p

It sucks that it came down to that. WINBLOWS strikes again on the common user I rest my case

Look, just because you don't have the skills to run a simple linux box doesn't mean you have to be so upset with *nix ok.

Night Night feigned, it's obviously past your bedtime.

Look, just because you don't have the skills to run a simple linux box doesn't mean you have to be so upset with *nix ok.

Night Night feigned, it's obviously past your bedtime.

When did I attack *nix? I was just pointing out the gaping hole in your statement.

I see the punctuation lesson helped out a smidge. I suggest you take more time to fully correct your statements. You know, for the good of mankind.

and...

Good luck Jeff! Let us know how it goes. :)

Thanks feigned! I'll let you know. :mrgreen:

http://www.ranish.com/part/

Details of that free repartitioning program I told you about earlier. If the disk contains unpartitioned space, it should allow you to resize the partition without losing data.

are u sure u formatted properly cos if u run the installation straight over c: it wont delete anything so that might b u problem ?

Got it all sorted out. I deleted the partition, then created a new one only to have it come out to 4GB again. So I went to BIOS to run Auot Detect HDD and it said 20GB HDD. But there were 3 options there. They all said 20GB but one said LBA(which was the current one I was using), one said Normal, and the other said Large. So I switched to the Normal option and created a new partition and formatted and now I have my 20GB HDD again. So thanks for all the help! :mrgreen:

guys,

ive just joined daniweb and gotta say thanx for the laugh i had reading this 3 page thread with all the bitching etc!!!

I found it interesting you are telling someone to check partitions before the bios tho, wouldn't the bios be the 1st place you would check for hdd detection, then check out primary, secondary partitions in fdisk?

you all seem to jump in at the deep end getting techy on poor jeff or criticising the way someone spells, completely leaving the subject of jeff's hdd

please, put handbags away now yeah?!

heh heh!!

guys,

ive just joined daniweb and gotta say thanx for the laugh i had reading this 3 page thread with all the bitching etc!!!

I found it interesting you are telling someone to check partitions before the bios tho, wouldn't the bios be the 1st place you would check for hdd detection, then check out primary, secondary partitions in fdisk?

you all seem to jump in at the deep end getting techy on poor jeff or criticising the way someone spells, completely leaving the subject of jeff's hdd

please, put handbags away now yeah?!

heh heh!!

We aim to please.

Windows doesn't really care what the BIOS says. Yes, it gets the rudimentary information from it, but as was Jeff's case, the BIOS was his limitation. Unless he jacked around with it in the first place (which is what it sounds like happened), it shouldn't have been an issue.

In short, the BIOS was fine, it just became misconfigured for whatever reason.

You can't solve this kind of problem without getting technical. Would you have known what utility to view information about partitions if someone hadn't have told you? And what about actually using it? A little knowledge never hurt anyone, did it?

I never left Jeff. Waiting for someone to respond is wholly different than sidetracking the issue. Ben and I seem to have worked out our differences though, hopefully. Right Ben?

DUDE WERE LIKE BEST FRIENDS
MARKY MARK MARK you might not know how we work around here but debating I find to be healthy!!!!

I have an 80gb drive just like Affleck, and Win Xp home takes up around 6-8 Gb.

His figures are not that far off.

I have an 80gb drive just like Affleck, and Win Xp home takes up around 6-8 Gb.

His figures are not that far off.

It's not essential space.

Turn off system restore and you'll see way less disk space usage.

With no extraneous programs installed, a typical Windows XP installation should be 1 to 1.5 gigs.

It's not essential space.

Turn off system restore and you'll see way less disk space usage.

With no extraneous programs installed, a typical Windows XP installation should be 1 to 1.5 gigs.

WinXP Home SYS Requirments

PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
Super VGA (800 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

**Note**
* Actual requirements will vary based on your system configuration and the applications and features you choose to install. Additional available hard-disk space may be required if you are installing over a network.

In poor(third world) countries this is typical practice

Learn about turning off services here www.BlackViper.com
and make your own custom registery file

My freind has Windows XP from packcard bell. He has loads of documents and music. He (and his family) have used 4.32GB

QUOTE: OZZY
What are you jabbering about man

WinXP Home SYS Requirments

PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
Super VGA (800 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

**Note**
* Actual requirements will vary based on your system configuration and the applications and features you choose to install. Additional available hard-disk space may be required if you are installing over a network.

In poor(third world) countries this is typical practice

Learn about turning off services here www.BlackViper.com
and make your own custom registery file

Oh, I didn't see this drivel.

Like I said, without system restore and any other software installed, the typical size for a vanilla WinXP installation is going to be somewhere between 1 and 1.5 gigs. Notice that it requires around 1.5 gigs of free hard disk space. It's right there you moron.

In third world countries, people indigenous to their land wouldn't put up with your elitism.

This one's edited too. I should have known about the registry thing. :rolleyes:

i dont know where you get your figures from wisebobo
Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional

• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
  • 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
  • 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
  • Super VGA (800 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
  • CD-ROM or DVD drive
  • Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

sorry I was talking about xp

you are mistaken buddy Windows XP fresh Install uses a little over 2 gig not 8gig

staycool72, it's not good practice to resurrect an old topic simply to react to a comment on page one of a multi-page discussion. If you'd read through you'd have found that the comment has already been refuted, and the refutation accepted long ago!

You'd also have found that your own claim is incorrect, and that a Fresh install is, in fact, less than 2 gig!

Well it sounds like Jeff got his problem sovled, but this has made for some good reading! Hey even techies can have some fun right?

blub...blub...blub

Hear that? That's the sound of this thread sinking to the depths below...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.