I'm running WinXP with a 250GB HD. I have the HD split into 2 partitions, (C: and L:). Well recently I realized that I have about 70GB of unallocated space, so I decided I was gonna add redistribute it. I start up partition magic and tell it what I need it to do. I then reboot and let it go to work. It starts out first resizing the L: drive. At about 17%, it just stopped. I let it sit for about 2 hours, hoping that maybe it would work itself out, but nothing. So I have to reboot, then nothing happens. I go back into partition magic and the partition that was once the L: drive, now instead of it showing NTFS, it says PqRP and shows as "other," and has no drive letter. In Disk Management, it shows as a logical drive and healthy, but says unknown partition. I can't rename it, or do anything to it other than delete it. If anyone has any ideas as to how to recover this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

And if you ever have unallocated space, I strongly recommend Disk Management to format the space as a valid partition. It takes just 30 seconds to complete the process, including a quick format

Your Remote Technical Support Assistant

c: drive is unknown partition so i want to this problem solution

On your XP cd there is a folder named Support. Use dskprobe.exe that is contained within. Else use another XP installation to modify the disk mbr with Testdisk.
fixmbr will not do the job - it only rewrites the first 440 bytes of MBR code; it does not alter the partition table entries. Which is why it is so fast, it does not scan the disk for partitions.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.