Hi guys, just now I've been having this problem

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/angleslam99/comphelp.jpg

Please disregard the videos that were blacked out, any idea what's causing this problem? It seems to pop up every time I wanna add a new folder or anything like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Oh by the way, its my external harddrive.

I just tried opening a video and it works but the folder/harddrive itself popped up with the same message.

Are you using Service Pack 2.seems the problem is most likely in sp2.ohk see if this work around works
system properties>advance(tab)>performance settings>data execution prevention(tab)[check the first radio]
did it work?

Are you using Service Pack 2.seems the problem is most likely in sp2.ohk see if this work around works
system properties>advance(tab)>performance settings>data execution prevention(tab)[check the first radio]
did it work?

it was already checked off, is there any other way to check this out and see whats wrong? it still gives me problems, thanks

try selecting the other option when prompted to restart your machine do so.when back in windows is the problem the same?if so change it back, restart and see if its still behaving that way.pending quick reply

I just changed it back to its original settings and restarted, still has the same problem.

seems like this may take a while but ill help you trough this
follow this link

seems like this may take a while but ill help you trough this
follow this link

this is weird because its my external harddrive thats acting up, not a specific program (at least i dont think)

anybody? please help, this is getting irritating

any folder that has any sort of media in is getting this message. is there an update to the data execution prevention that could help?

ohk heres what Ive found
-do a check disk,clean your temp files and get a good anti virus program.
furthermore the problem is targeted on xp sp2.so if you not into the sp2 vs sp3 debate just install sp3. and there you go

ohk heres what Ive found
-do a check disk,clean your temp files and get a good anti virus program.
furthermore the problem is targeted on xp sp2.so if you not into the sp2 vs sp3 debate just install sp3. and there you go

i have McAfee as my virus program and I can just download SP3 directly from microsoft right?

download sp3 via this link .

download sp3 via this link .

before i do this, is it required to back up all my information or what? because i tried doing that before and it wont save anywhere.

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

DEP is blocking your Windows Explorer. If you are sure your system is not infected then Turn off DEP for Windows Explorer only (C:\Windows\explorer.exe).
See attachment for more info.

DEP is blocking your Windows Explorer. If you are sure your system is not infected then Turn off DEP for Windows Explorer only (C:\Windows\explorer.exe).

Oh ok, let me try this.

it was working for awhile until this popped up:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/angleslam99/depprob-2.jpg

if i were to switch to service pack 3, would this get rid of all my problems? i mean, when it asks if i want to back up my stuff, should I? i mean is it really necessary?

if i were to switch to service pack 3, would this get rid of all my problems? i mean, when it asks if i want to back up my stuff, should I? i mean is it really necessary?

you can backup format and do a clean install together with sp3.voila
also like I said I made it priority to search your prob and no theres no guarantees but worth giving it a go.this prob is most likely with sp2 so you conclude if its worth the try.If I were you Id give it a go.
Good luck

you can backup format and do a clean install together with sp3.voila
also like I said I made it priority to search your prob and no theres no guarantees but worth giving it a go.this prob is most likely with sp2 so you conclude if its worth the try.If I were you Id give it a go.
Good luck

okay, i'll back up only whats important on my computer and i will do a clean wipe. once everything is wiped should i then install sp3 from the link you gave me? i really want to thank you for all your help for this. i'll give this a go

Id say install sp3 (go with the link as provided) as you install the OS. seeing that, that specific prob lies with sp2.its not likely to happen again but it could and youd be stuck with a de javu. in a nutshell install your OS with sp3
feel free to ask if you need further help.
Good luck fella

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.