i've got two different games that i bought for my previous computer (win 98SE) that when installed on my new computer (win XP Home) will just not play. they install O.K. but when i go to play them the cursor goes to hourglass, and then nothing, no error messages or anything. i assume that because they are both a few years old ( around 4-5) that they are not compatible with win Xp, but i would really like to be able to play them again. the games in question are Star Trek: Birth of the Federation ,and Civilisation 2:Test of Time

i would appreciate any help, if even just to know if its possible or not !

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I had the same problem with some of my Command and Conquer games. I went to the Homepage for that company that created those games and found patches for the games. Most companies started making compatibility patches for Windows XP. I would start there.

If the game runs then the screen goes black and your back at your desktop then its your video settings, on some games (if you lucky) you can set the apperance to the classic win98 and it will allow the program to run

try right clicking on the games icon and choose compatiability and choose to run in win98 mode .

thanks, i'll try that !

did that, now both games are running just peachy.......and i remembered why stopped playing them (:)

it a good xp feature

I tried to do that compatibility thing, but it didn't change anything... the screen still goes black and then goes back to my desktop...

I tried to do that compatibility thing, but it didn't change anything... the screen still goes black and then goes back to my desktop...

What game are you trying to play?

Birth of the Federation on Windows XP home edition

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.