I cannot run .exe files or .lnk files directly, I have to right click and 'open with' the select the program itself. I also get

Registry modification detected
Root:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key:Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Value:RunDLL
Data:
New Data:rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.dll",Load

Attempt to alter the autostart section (Blocked)

from Adaware. I can't access regedit directly I have to go through Run, Command, windows, copy regedit.exe regedit.com...etc.

I've tried a suggestion but it hasn't worked. I try to block the bridge.dll on startup (By starting Adaware on windows start up) , but again the .exe files can't run.

Please Help, Many Thanks People. Hope you can help.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have you tried to get rid of that stuff through Safe Mode?

Try hitting <F8> when your computer boots, and go into Safe Mode, then try getting rid of that stuff. Also, try checking out the Bridge.dll thread that's listed in my sig for more information.

Yea i second that cuase it prob. isnt going to be windows causing this to happen it prob. is going ot ither spyware/virus in there.... go to safe mode and then open msconfig ( if can and uncheck "load startup items" and then reboot and se if you get the samething .. if everything is fine now.... then run adaware and see if it can remove it now.. or run hijackthis and remove it manually in safe mode if you can.

I started in safe mode and again when running msconfig, it said "Cannot run this file..open with" etc. I can't remove the stuff, becuase I don't actually know what/where it is. Seems it's going to have to be a format (Well Restore disk I got with PC)....I know someone who does a know fix, no fee deal. That would probably be worth a try.

How do I get/use Hijackthis? Could this do any damage to PC? Would I have to run this in Safe Mode.

Also Adaware keeps giving this error

"09/11/2004 20:37:54 - Registry modification detected
Root:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key:Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Value:RunDLL
Data:
New Data:rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.dll",Load

Attempt to alter the autostart section (Blocked)"

Should I allow this or leave it as blocked? Not sure if it's anything to do with the .exe .lnk error. Also when searching about this people mentioned flingstone.com, may have caused the errors. I can't run msconfig :(

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, I just really don't want to have to save all my files elsewhere, format and reload everything.

Can't open anything in Control Panel either. I have to use "Open with" to use any programs.

You certainly have a rather troublesome spyware/malware infestation.

Make sure you have the LATEST VERSIONS of both AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Download them on a different PC if necessary and burn them to CD.

Use them after booting Windows into Safe Mode. That way any 'nasties' that have been placed on your system won't be loaded at startup, and you'll be able to effectively detect and remove them with those utilities.

Afterwatds, do a 'Refresh Install' of windows to repair any Windows system file damage that might have occurred:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341&Product=winxp

(You will most likely need to reinstall some Windows Updates afterwards, but at least your system problems will have been corrected.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.