Hi

I'm new and my computer knowledge is limited. I'm running Windows 98SE and am subscribed to BT Broadband. I set up an e-mail account through BT and set Outlook Express as my e-mail receiver. All was fine until I had a bit of a glitch with Internet Explorer which wouldn't launch. I managed to resolve this problem by removing music download programmes my daughter had obtaind from the internet. However having got IE working I have found that I can't access my e-mail through Outlook Express.

When I attempt to 'Send/Receive' messages on the tools menu in OE, the connecting to 'mail-btinternet' pop up window comes up and the status reports 'Connected' . After 30 seconds the following error mssage appears

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

Can anybody help?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Thanks for the tip. I shall try it and let you know.

sorry for taking so long to get back but thanks dlh6213, it was my Firewall causing the problem. I've still to configure it properly but again many thanks for pointing me in the right direction as I now know what it is.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.