I am having a problem with my print spooler not staying automatic even though auto is selected. Every time I want to print, I have to manually restart the spooler. It does not matter what program I am trying to print from or even what printer I am using. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Is this on the server or local to your pc?

Local to the PC, there is a document stuck in the queue I can not get to go away. I have rebooted the computer, cancel all jobs, uninstalled and re-installed the printer. Really weird lol

Go Start, Run, and enter ..
services.msc
Scroll down to Print Spooler and ensure that Startup Type is Automatic. If not, rclick Print Spooler, > Properties and select Automatic in the drop down menu.

It is set to automatic

Okay, now that you know your way around Services, go back in there and Stop the Print Spooler.
Navigate to C:/windows/system32/spool/printers and delete any documents listed there, and then back to Services and reset to Automatic.
Should do the job.

I already said that in post 3.

Local to the PC, there is a document stuck in the queue I can not get to go away. I have rebooted the computer, cancel all jobs, uninstalled and re-installed the printer. Really weird lol

I am thinking it has something to do with the printer and vista? It is a HP 1020.

Well, no, you did not say that, not really. You said you cancelled all jobs. I assumed that you did that via the Printer software.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.