I'm having a problem with my computer freezing up, I'm running windows xp service pk 3, pentium 4, 1.80 ghz, 512 ddr ram, some times it will run for days without freezing and other times it will freeze after a few minutes, so i cut the power supply wait a few minutes and power up again and run it until it freezes again, when it freezes the curser and screen freeze with the on/off button not responsive. i have replaced the harddrive, which helped for a short time before it froze up, i checked the cooling fan (visual only) seems to be working fine and i pulled the two 256 mb ddr cards and switched their locations (thinking there may have been a bad connection) seemed to help for a short time again. I am a novice when it comes to computers but am willing to try anything with the help from a knowledgeable person and step by step instructions if possible . if any more info is needed Please ask. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

First question, did it freeze before you installed SP 3? Or did you buy it with SP 3 installed?

I've been having this problem for about a year and yes it was freezing before i installed sp3, but lately it seems to be freezing more often.

Is it a laptop by any chance? Cos I was just thinking along the lines that the board might be getting quite hot quite quickly, thereby causing it to freeze. I had an old laptop with that sort of issue.

And for what it's worth it could happen with a desktop as well, if the cooling fan isn't working, or isn't big enough. Can you check that the fans are working fine, and do you know how to find out the internal temp (of the CPU)?

Also what is the make of the tower or laptop?

It is a desktop i purchased at best buys about 5 or 6 years ago. The System Manufacturer is VPR Matrix with a Intel Motherbroad D845BG. Processor is a X86 Family 15 model 1 stepping 2 GenuineIntel.. sorry i don't know to find out the internal temp of the cpu..hope this info helps out

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.