I uninstalled Java Runtime Environment 6 through Add/Remove Programs - with the intention of reinstalling the latest update version which I have not yet done. I did a Search for Java and found several files - some as far back as 1999...got my pc in 2002. Before I reinstall JRE, can all these files be deleted? some are .dll, Windows $NT Service Pack Uninstall, Windows help, Java Scripts Kapersky, etc. Thanks for any suggestions.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I uninstalled Java Runtime Environment 6 through Add/Remove Programs - with the intention of reinstalling the latest update version which I have not yet done. I did a Search for Java and found several files - some as far back as 1999...got my pc in 2002. Before I reinstall JRE, can all these files be deleted? some are .dll, Windows $NT Service Pack Uninstall, Windows help, Java Scripts Kapersky, etc. Thanks for any suggestions.

see attached screen shot re Java

Mmm.. don't delete those files. The correct way to manually update Java is to update first, then uninstall any old versions via CP > Add/Rmv Pgms.
Any chance you still have an old Java installation file on your sys? Because if not you will have to dl the whole installation again, and it is big. Updates are smaller files that self-install into the old framework.
You will have to visit the website...

gerbil: many thanks for ur reply. However I have already uninstalled JRE from Add/Remove Programs - but as mentioned b4, I still have all those different java files which as you say, I shouldn't delete? If I were to download a new updated version will I end up with duplicates (that is, old files along with new files duplicating the old files?). I don't want my limited harddisk drive to become bloated with all these duplicates. Also, is it really necessary to have JRE program installed on my pc? I would appreciate any further suggestions. Thanks.

It is important to discriminate between Sun Java and MSJava, and Javascript, the last being a completely different animal. Most of what you found in that search is MSJava related, which is why it is still there [uninstalling SUN Java would not touch it].
Do not remove anything associated with Javascript or you may find accessing some webpages impossible....
Now I don't have MSJava installed on my machine, having SUN's version. . Having any Java version is a personal choice - it is generally utilised by web pages to present animations, some graphics, charts, tables.. whatever object the webpage wants to show you [ small pgms are downloaded by the page to deliver some image or...experience, and you require a Java to enable them to run].
Javascript in html documents [or webpages] is used/interpreted by the browser to control or build a varity of objects in that document, and sometimes that includes commands back to the website. Javascript can only exist inside an html doc because it is [only] the browser which executes it [have you noticed that all html docs always open inside your browser?]. Java is a stand-alone programming language which can be turned to just about anything. May I suggest you do a web search to learn what Java does for you?
Okay, you may delete..
Java C:\WINDOWS\Sun
java C:\Documents and Sett ings\Vee\Application Data\Sun
java. gif C: \Docurnents and Settlngs\Vee\Local Settlngs\Temporary Intern...
...not much to remove, is there? If you do reinstall SUNJava you could remove MSJava.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.