I recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows xp pro. After putting on all my data and programmes i released i had no sound on the computer. There is no icon on the taskbar and device manager at the sigmatel high defination audio codec there is a question mark. I uninstalled it and rebooted but still no sound. I checked the properties and it says code 10 the device cannot start. Can anyone help me to find out what i done wrong
Many thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Is it a branded computer or a custom made??? Did you instal the chipster driver for your motherboard

Hello everyone,
Desmondo when you reinstalled xp, you might have forgotten to reinstall your sound drivers. I read in your post you have found a yellow exclamation mark in the sound device. That means the driver is missing. If this is the case you have two options. 1) Get your motherboard's drivers cd and install the sound driver or 2) go to your motherboard's manufactures website and download the sound drivers for your board.
Or if you have a Dell/Compaq/Hp...just go to their website and look up your model and download the sound drivers from there. Hope that helps :D Let us know of the outcome bud.

Hey, I have a similar problem with my home edition. But it's wierd because my graphic driver is installed, but it still acts as though I have no graphic card. And I went to dell.com to download the missing drivers but even after i follow all the required steps for download and instalation, It acts as though i havn't installed a single thing.

Hey, I have a similar problem with my home edition. But it's wierd because my graphic driver is installed, but it still acts as though I have no graphic card. And I went to dell.com to download the missing drivers but even after i follow all the required steps for download and instalation, It acts as though i havn't installed a single thing.

that is common for when you install a driver and theres already a driver installed. causing the one driver to not get its way.if thats the cave with your machine uninstall the older one

:icon_rolleyes: Hi Desmondo
jhonnyboy's advice on your problem is the way to go, particlarly wrt accessing your motherboard's site.
I had exactly the same problem - Windows insisted that my onboard sound card needed CMedia AC'97 drivers, but this did not work, and I also had the "cannot start" error. I went to Gigabyte site (my m/board) and it indicated that the sound card actually needed Realtek AC'97 drivers.
I downloaded and installed these, and "voila", the beauty of sound permeated my ears.
Try the Realtek drivers, could sort it out pronto!
Let us know your results.
Best regards
slyd

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.