I have a 7 gig hard drive. I have only 3 gigs of files but for some reason it shows that I only have 755 mb left. What has happened to the other 4 gigs?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

did you do a disk cleanup lately ,go to mycomputer and click on the drive in question and right click it ,click properties and click disk cleanup, click to delete what ever it finds .

I have, in fact, done a disk cleanup or even better than that I manually visited each and every folder, added up the total of all files and folders, and after making sure that the recycler and temp (etc.) folders were emptied I still only had 2.7 gigs worth of files on this drive but it still says I have only 765 mb left when I should have about 4.3 gigs left. Could this be due to bad sectors?

not likely if it had that many bad sectors I don't think it would bootup.
what operating system are you using Win98 or XP
I think you should run Scandisk

I'm running Xp Pro. I'll try scandisk and see what happens thanks

I'm running Xp Pro. I'll try scandisk and see what happens thanks

Go to MY computer and right clikc on you hardrive and go to properties .tool and check of to checkdisk ,reboot .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.