Hello,

I would just like to know if I decide to overclock my processor or ram, etc, how would I know where to see the current temperatures of what is being overclocked? And also, what are the temperatures that should be kept in order for them not to overheat?

Thanks.

ps. im guessing it might be on BIOS in start up?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Dennb, Since you are on the fence about overclocking let me offer you some advise. Don't do it. There I said it, there are a million reasons why you shouldn't overclock a CPU $$$$ is a huge one.

But you just might do it anyway so here is a link for "Heat Sink" temps on popular CPU's.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml

Temperature software and probes can be found at almost every PC parts store. www.newegg.com will get you pointed in the right direction.

Speedfan is a nice (FREE!) utility that may be helpful for overclockers, as it allows you to adjust the speed of your CPU and case fans according to the temperature. This will allow your machine to be both quiet at idle/low pwer consumption and cool when necessary. Before OCing you may want to consider aftermarket HS and fans (or even if you do not OC, because lower temps means better longevity), or even a water/peltier cooling solution. Good luck and have fun, Mav.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.