Hey guys,

I have a question. A few months ago, I was having a problem with my laptop and I ended up starting the process of reinstalling Windows XP over the version that is already on the laptop. I didn't finish the installation, though, and my laptop is fixed and working fine. How do I remove the version of Windows XP that I started to install but never completed? Every time I boot my computer, I have to pick my Windows XP environment from a list that has the other install on it. And I have a "Windows.0" file and a "Windows.1" file that I probably don't need. Can you guys help me reclaim this disk space?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Windows XP
Alienware Area-51 laptop

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hey guys,

I have a question. A few months ago, I was having a problem with my laptop and I ended up starting the process of reinstalling Windows XP over the version that is already on the laptop. I didn't finish the installation, though, and my laptop is fixed and working fine. How do I remove the version of Windows XP that I started to install but never completed? Every time I boot my computer, I have to pick my Windows XP environment from a list that has the other install on it. And I have a "Windows.0" file and a "Windows.1" file that I probably don't need. Can you guys help me reclaim this disk space?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Windows XP
Alienware Area-51 laptop

you couldn't have been copying over or you wouldn't have got a second choice ,anyway right click on mycomputer/properties/advanced/ then settings, in the startup and recovery section here you will see the 2 choices ,you can edit out the one that doesn't work in the boot .ini file ,mke sure you remove the right one.,
some info here .you will know the right one ,its the one you don't pick to get to xp.

Thanks Caperjack. This will be a quick fix to save me from having to select every time I boot up my computer. :)

If you or anyone knows which files I can safely remove so I can reclaim that disk space, please let me know. Thanks,

Brian

you couldn't have been copying over or you wouldn't have got a second choice ,anyway right click on mycomputer/properties/advanced/ then settings, in the startup and recovery section here you will see the 2 choices ,you can edit out the one that doesn't work in the boot .ini file ,mke sure you remove the right one.,
some info here .you will know the right one ,its the one you don't pick to get to xp.

CaperJack,

Hey, I looked at my boot.ini file and it contains this text:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /FASTDETECT /NOGUIBOOT

I'm thinking I should remove the multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1..... part because it has the WINDOWS.1 reference in it. Is that correct?

If that's correct, then should I also remove the default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1 text as well? If I remove this line, should I specify something as the default?

Thanks,

Brian

i would think you could just edit/delete the .1 from this line first ,see what happens .
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1
[operating systems]
if you are sure the windows.1 is the one you don't choose then all should be ok,and you would then be able to edit out this line .
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /FASTDETECT

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.