Hi,
I am experiencing a slower and slower connection to Daniweb everytime I log on, why is this so?

I have tried at several locations on many diferent machines with the same result.

Recommended Answers

All 42 Replies

you didn't pay your dues!lol
mine works ok

Hi,
I am experiencing a slower and slower connection to Daniweb everytime I log on, why is this so?

I have tried at several locations on many diferent machines with the same result.

mine is getting faster.

using a tweaked firefox 3.

have you got dialup? if so DW will kill you - at 1mb+ per page at times.

There are many reasons for this.

This can have something to do with where daniweb server is hosted, and where we are in the world in relation to where the server is. Sometimes, it may happen that you get a slower connection to the server from your isp, for a short while, also, if you are on a wireless connection, you will have latency problems now and then.

It may also be that some ad trying to load, takes forever, this is most likely. When the webpage loads, check your taskbar and see if it got stuck on some ad url not loading, or taking long to load.

It may also be that during short periods of time, the server is getting many requests at once, and depending on the efficiency of the server, how long it takes to sort all requests. Maybe daniweb should flush the server more often?

As for me, I have a 512 kbps connection, and no problem opening daniweb at all.

That's a good point. I used to have issues with speed on DW but not anymore. I also have recently started doing it at 3am when our main, singular international exchange is unused.

Firefox does NOT like DW. I don't know why, but one particular symptom is tha it cannot render pages containing a long post.
Opera copes admirably.. no problems at all.

i've had zero issues with it. Opera has ads doesnt it? Unless you pay? Chrome has issues. Crashes all the time. No skins no plug ins. What version of ff are you running? What add ons? They could be the issue. I have ad and flash filters that work perfectly.

FF, the latest update, 3 .04? without checking [came in last week?] Zero plugins.
Opera has no ads, it is just good, clean, fast. Crash? Never. FF is a copy of it.
I'll point you at a long post so you can see what I mean about FF... http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread155796-4.html
Does it render the whole page? Perfectly? No omissions, blank spaces, black areas?

Firefox does NOT like DW. I don't know why, but one particular symptom is tha it cannot render pages containing a long post.
Opera copes admirably.. no problems at all.

i use latest firefox and useto have that problem with long post.it seems to work fine now

Yeah its a known problem with FF and virtually all Vbulletin based forums

You get it a lot when someone posts a massive HJT log or something

Hi all,
Thank you for all your comments. I do not have my PC at this time and have been using internet cafes to go online. I have used EI 7 and 8, Mozilla Firefox 1.9.0.3224, and Opera with different connection speeds and at many different times with the same result of late. It takes up to 2 mins for any page to open or to sign in. It can not be the fault of 20+ PCs at several locations that did work well in the past.
In regard to Crome, I have used it on my PC for about two months and have not had any problems with it at all.

Caper, I have FF3.04 [latest] and it will not pull in that page I put up. Opera does. Anyway... poor ole Bob...
Bob, try creating another account...

Hi gerbil, my FF could render that loooong post and replies to it perfectly. Also latest version in my native language. I must admit, that there were previous cases when FF did leave a blank area with those long posts.

Bob, see if it is an ad script that struggle to load. Some of these ad scripts can get stuck sometimes.

Hi,
Changing the user name will not help as I get the problem from the download of the cover page where I need to log on from. The major part of the page loads in about 1 minute then the area where I select the forum from takes another minute. I can download 2mg in less than 2 minutes so speed is not the problem. All other sites work well it is just Daniweb where I am having trouble. Sometimes when I am in Daniweb and make a posting it will post and display in less than 1 second but if I try to return to the main menu of problems, it will take up to 2 minutes again.

it loaded the long page no problem ,and my pages here load quite fast, no problem , i do have problem with speed on occasions on this site and the long post, just not right now

i tried the long post again and it turns black part way down ,last nite it worked fine

:)... I jus dunno, caper.... an Bob, I was afraid you would say that. "as I get the problem from the download of the cover page where I need to log on from."

I stand as an observer only - I say that FF3 is fine, because from my standpoint it is.

I am not discounting any opinion to the contrary. If there have been issues, then OK, I believe you, and I am kinda NKOTB here so maybe it has been resolved recently and so I never saw it.

"I say that FF3 is fine, because from my standpoint it is." That is fine then, hot; if it works for you, well, that is all that is required of it [FF]. I have no strong point to make on this issue... it is just that for some it works, some of the time [check caper's posts...], and for some it does not, most of the time [me ..]. Perhaps is works for some, all of the time. I do not know networking, or much about browsers.. I don't think I know NKOTB either...

HI, Gerbil.

Thanks for backing off for me. I realise everyone's experiences are different. I am interested to find FF= GNU/open sauce (ask JB, inhouse joke) version of opera. so why is FF greater in popularity?

It would seem we have poached this thread...

New Kid On The Block

Poaching happens. I don't hold a torch for any browser... I switched from IE early on to Opera [it just made sense to have tabs on one browser process]. After a bit I experimented with FF and while I was doing that it became my main. But several months ago it started to fault on long pages and so I switched back to Opera.
Not going to say I love it, it doesn't "excite" me , I just prefer it. Atm. I have all 3 on quicklaunch.
Opera has just a few % of the market, I don't know why. I do know it takes a crowbar to get ppl weaned off IE. I have heard that some ppl use Netscape. Or did.
And still we have nothing to offer poor Bob.

more people use IE because its on the box when they buy it ,and have no idea how to or for that matter tat they can actually install another browser , I fix computers and hang out at local computer shop when not working or fix computers at home ,and when I ask people what browser they use the answer/question back is whats' as browser ! in short the majority haven't got a clue !My favorite user question isn't browser related but it goes like this ,jack i put a cd in the cdrom drive and nothing happens ,how do i get the file of the cd,or the cd to open , I say did you go to mycomputer and click on the cdrom icon !Answer usually goes like this wheres mycomputer ,oh , hey it worked ,thanks !!!! that comes from new users and people who owned the computer for 5 to 10 yrs !

Ah.. I find comfort in that, caper. The world is safe.. some people are not obsessed by computers, to them they are mere tools. Ripper.

Ah.. I find comfort in that, caper. The world is safe.. some people are not obsessed by computers, to them they are mere tools. Ripper.

true ,most are fine as long as they can get onto Pogo Games or facebook , I once sold a tower [theirs crashed ]to a guy who drove about 100 miles to my place ,so his wife could get on pogo and leave him alone .lol

Hi all,
It all sounds so interesting, maybe we should start a new thread on silly things users say and do, it could be interesting.
How about,,, "I have put my printer in front of the screen but is still says it can not recognize it!!!"

BUT!! I an in my Internet cafe now with 20, 1 year old, fast gaming computers with a download speed now of 922kb/s and i am still having the same trouble downloading most Daniweb pages.
In the past I have had no problems, it is only over the last 2 to 3 weeks. It makes no sense as everyone else seems to be getting good speed downloads from here, just me who is getting the slow down. I can access any other site I try at good fast speeds, it is only Daniweb where I have problems.

maybe it something you have checked in your Daniweb control panel /options ,make sure you check of the advertising section on the bottom of the option page
i have both checked off.
Disable Contextual Advertising Disable Graphical Ads

i said to one client reboot the computer. So he did, steel caps and all

i said to one client reboot the computer. So he did, steel caps and all

whats that got to do with this thread?

Hey,

I was poksting off my cell Phone, and I must have got the threads mixed somewhere. please remove it (and this) at your discretion, JB. Thx,

hotmatrixx

its a computer help story! that what this thread turned into [my fault i think ]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.