I attempted my first reformat. Doesn't seem to be going well.

After the process, I got this message: "NTDLR is missing." I searched around the web and found the solution, but then I had a boot.ini problem, which once again I found the solution on the web.

Now when I start my comp it says: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

I can't find the solution on the web, does anyone know what to do?

Any help is greatly appreciated (what an incentive).

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

too much shit on my comp

what do you mean reinstall? wouldn't that just bring me back to where I am now?

"Too much shit"?
I's considerably easier to delete than to reformat. but different strokes...
A reformat and reinstall should go smoothly if done properly, so I'm concerned that you may have erred somewhere along the way. I was wondering if you had a hardware problem that led you to reformat.
Maybe open the case and look for dust bunnies, etc.
Something is making this happen and we don't know what it is.

Thanks so much for the help.

By too much shit, I mean that I've had the comp for 4 years, and there's just a whole bunch of stuff on it. I just wanted to start from scratch.

but yeah, here's the instructions I used: http://www.cyberwalker.net/article/668
should I just follow those instructions again?

That looks OK, but you don't need to bother with Recovery Console. Just format the drive when Windows prompts you. As he says, be sure you pick the correct partition if you have more than one.
Just foolow the Windows prompts carefully and you should have no problem.
What kind of PC is this?

commented: thanks +3

I AM AN IDIOT. I fixed it. I don't even want to say my mistake.

C'mon now. Give us a Christmas present. Maybe you can save the next guy from the same problem. :)

if that guy can independently get to this site and find this thread, then he will be ok. trust me, this is bad.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.