I would like to know what spyware software programs are recommended to install on my new computer. My OS is Vista. A trial of McAfee is already installed. Would you recommend I stay with McAfee after the trial is over? Any other suggestions as to how to try to keep this computer clean of nasties would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

McAfee isn't that bad a program...If you are willing to pay yearly for it...If you want to go free, than Avira Antivir Personal isn't a bad choice...it's free...along with that, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against malware, and if you want an anti-spyware, try spyware terminator...although you should be careful with this one...if you don't know how to configure it, you might end up screwing yourself...as I installed it and put up with it a little before getting it to run, but my cousin's husband had trouble with it on his vista...so i wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what you are doing...

So Avira AntiVir...and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware...i use those 2 and they work well for free programs...

but if you want to go for payed programs...I would recommend either McAfee or Karspersky...I have worked with both, although I would recommend McAfee with a 10 or 12 in one features...as you get a lot inside one program for a yearly cost...

So my suggestions...

Free Programs: Avira AntiVir and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Payed Programs: 1st: McAfee 10-in-one or 12-in-one...the more the better...

hi inlovewithnight, to be sure that your computer to be free from nasty stuff.... avoid visiting nasty websites too..hehehe....i mean surf safely..use an anti-virus with internet security feature ...and avoid using file sharing programs it will invite a lot of virus to your system..if really can't avoid to use such programs..then be prepared always to format your system..

Thank you both for your suggestions and advice. Much appreciated.

I do keep away from file sharing sites and do try to surf safely, but you know something will sneak it's way in somehow.:icon_smile: Both of your input will give me a good start with this new computer.

Thanks again.

Personally, i use Malwarebytes Anitmalware. It does better then all programs listed above when it comes to Malware and Spyware.

LINK

Personally, i use Malwarebytes Anitmalware. It does better then all programs listed above when it comes to Malware and Spyware.

LINK

yes, it does...but thats only for MALWARE...you would still need an Anti-Virus along with that ;)

commented: He doesn't read the above post fully. +0

"It does better then all programs listed above when it comes to Malware and Spyware."

Thats what I said...

I use AVG Pro is the best choice & I don't need to buy as well. I got a license up to 2018.
And my machine is running cutely fine.!

Personally, McAfee is a good antivirus software for Desktops! For Laptops, you should think about installing BitDefender or Norton Internet Security 2009 actually since they got best rating for protection of Notebooks.

Use the following rate system to pick your choice! Bitdefender is the way to go though...

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Sorry, don't get Norton, it sucks.

Thanks to all for all your suggestions! With all your advice, hopefully I can keep this new computer protected.

Although a little late to the party, NOD32 is 1 of the best AV, it's light, with a good detection rate, coupled alongside Outpost Pro (Firewall) it makes for pretty good detection. Kaspersky Internet Security (AV/Firewall package) is also another good candidate as far as security goes anyways.

"It does better then all programs listed above when it comes to Malware and Spyware."

Thats what I said...

my bad...sorry...understood it wrong...

Free anti-virus try Avast Home 4.8, it uses very little resources and works well.
For malware try SuperAntiSpyware Free edition or Malwarebytes, I use SuperAntiSpyware but have used Malwarebytes in the past.
I second the Dont get Norton. Why pay for junk when the free ones do a better job. I'm not a big fan of McAfee however have never had a major problem with it. Steer clear of NOD 32 it misses swizzors and other trojans.

Avast 4.8 Home
Zone alarm firewall
Spyboat S&D

Avast
Spybot S&D
Ad Aware
Firefox + AdBlock + NoScript

I've read good things about MalwareBytes, but haven't used it personally.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.