I have read a bunch of the threads on similar situations, but I am so confused! When I go to my schools blackboard site from my computer sometimes I will have to restart my computer because the printer and it get a message that says busy. Well this happened today and as usual i restarted the computer and when it came back up it said Windows Registry Error - will restart. When it restarted it went through all the procedures and after the signing in, the Windows logo and the music, everything went blank. I believe I had a problem similar to this a year or so ago and the repair person said I needed a new motherboard or hard drive (250.00 to fix). I also tried F8 to start in safe mode and that is blank as well. I am runnning ME on an HP. Thanks, PLEASE help.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Can you give more details on the error message?

It seems to me that you either have a corrupted registry or there is an application that is hanging the operating system boot. I would be able to better diagnose the situation if there was a part of that error posted here.

Can you give more details on the error message?

It seems to me that you either have a corrupted registry or there is an application that is hanging the operating system boot. I would be able to better diagnose the situation if there was a part of that error posted here.

The only error message I received was before I had the problem with the blank screen and it said (from what I can remember) is System Registry Error, Windows will fix and restart. I don't get anything now, just a blank screen and a cursor. I just took it to the shop and they seem to think it's my hard drive or OS. He thinks it is shot and I have lost all files, although he said he would try and retreive the info off my hard drive. What do you think? thanks for your reply!

Just about anything the 'shop' can do, you can probably do yourself (including retrieving your data), so don't go there yet.

I only used ME for a few months, and that was a long time ago, but I believe if you boot with the ME CD, there is some sort of Recovery option; does anyone else know about this?

I've never used ME ,but it does have a system restore much like winxp.
I think it to late for not taking it to the Shop !
the biggest problem with taking a computer to the shop first without trying to fix it youself is !! The shop can make mre mone off you by selling you new parts ,quicker to install and load a new HD,or Mother board ,/thus more profit!! Most don't even know what is causing your problem and don't care ,because they think you/we don't know enought to not beleive what they tell you was wrong !! I know this because i spend my lunch brakes hanging out in a small computer shop .that does all these things on a daily bases .And people keep coming back!biggest reason is because the only other shop in town ,2 doors away is to expensive ,owned by a real tech ,and he knows what is time is worth !

Excample : First i live in Canada so prices are Canadian !and this happend a year ago .
Friend of my wife ,her Daughter is away at collage .computer was giving her problems ,she called home ,her mother called me with a brief description of problem ,i said sounds like Harddrive .daughter call local computer shop in a small colage town and the guy said sounds like the HD, run down of quoted cost .1 ,first he would need to Diagonise problem 1hr,$75.00
if harddrive new HD $150.00
reinstall windows 3 Hrs . $225.00
total $450.00

Solution She sent it home 800 mile to me by bus ,i installed a 40 gig used HD .reloaded windows ,total cost $95.00 + bus ride

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.