My laptop has Windows XP on it, and when I turned it on last time I had the infamous BSoD. It said something like "critical system error" or something along those lines. I turned it off, then back on and hit F5 then F8. and tried startup in every mode offered with the same results ever time, which is that it gets to the XP welcome screen and just stays on that screen. The progress bar under the logo runs across like it would if it was working, but nothing ever happen. How can I fix this?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I had the infamous BSoD. It said something like "critical system error" or something along those lines.

buy new ram ,or something along those lines

boot to recovery counsel and run "chkdsk /p/f" with out the "or something along those lines

remove any new hardware added recently ,or something along those lines .

my point is there are many causes of the bsod ,and the correct error info is needed to help you correctly

Hi dude
Look, what is the actions that was taken before this behaviour happened??
Do you still get the Bsod? if you do provide a jpeg as an attachment so I can have a better understanding of whats the reason behind the prob.

Regards
Sids

Hi dude
Look, what is the actions that was taken before this behaviour happened??
Do you still get the Bsod? if you do provide a jpeg as an attachment so I can have a better understanding of whats the reason behind the prob.

Regards
Sids

not sure what the last action taken was because it was my roommate who did it, but i am no longer getting the blue screen. it just hangs on the xp welcome screen forever

hi, re-install windows and choose "Repair" during installation so you can still have your data...your system might be corrupted..or try to plug-out your hdd and scan your hdd using another pc..maybe got some virus or malware programs that causes your problem...

Hi
That being the case I think its time to take out you're xp disks and do a recovery console.
-chkdsk might give you some grace.

-Alternatively you might be forced to reinstall xp on that hd(I'll recommend that you slave you're current drive first with another master to backup you're data)

-A windows repair might also count in you're favor as the previous guy has suggested, but bare in mind should it work you'll still be required to reinstall certain programs.

This result is often caused by OS files not allowing you're pc to properly startup.

Best regards
Sids

I had this problem with many computers and the only solutions is to do recovery from the windows cd or re install the windows from different windows xp copy.
Thanks

I had this problem with many computers and the only solutions is to do recovery from the windows cd or re install the windows from different windows xp copy.
Thanks

maybe so ,but i to have had bsod's on many computers [depends on the bsod error message ]and fixed it with a chkdsk /p/f ,except ones that were caused by bad ram , don't know how you can say what you are saying when the poster hasn't even posted his bsod error info ,it could be bad ram

yes you are right and i was mean if it after you do all steps you said then you can go to my solution.
Thanks

Hi
That being the case I think its time to take out you're xp disks and do a recovery console.
-chkdsk might give you some grace.

-Alternatively you might be forced to reinstall xp on that hd(I'll recommend that you slave you're current drive first with another master to backup you're data)

-A windows repair might also count in you're favor as the previous guy has suggested, but bare in mind should it work you'll still be required to reinstall certain programs.

This result is often caused by OS files not allowing you're pc to properly startup.

Best regards
Sids

ok i got the blue screen back. here is a picture of it

0xC000026C
Usually indicates device driver problems.

so , if you don't want to answer any of my previous questions ,I will ask just once more ,did you run ,chkdsk /p/f , command or did you just run the chkdsk command !
if that didn't work and you can get into windows go to run and type in sfs /scannow ,you will need the windows cd if it finds any missing files

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.