So i just wiped my laptop and installed XP Home SP3. Everything was going find until I started downloading a few things, software removal tools, pc maintenance tools, etc. I started to see that my firefox is using about 50% of my cpu usage anytime that it's open now. Not only that, but when I try to access my C drive it gives me the generic Windows error report that you can choose to send or not send, but the program it lists is the odd the part, the program that's listed is: S-0-6-98-100016064-100025734-100005007-2661.com
I don't know why it's giving this, my first instinct was to assume that it was a virus. So I ran 2 virus scans, first with Panda, and the second was with AVG. Nothing showed out of the ordinary. So that's why I'm here now, I was curious if anyone had any ideas as to what could be causing this. Also I cannot access the internet at all with Internet Explorer, this is kind of meaningless to me, because IE is useless.

Thanks if you actually stuck around to read the whole thing, and also thanks in advance for any input.

-Clinton

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Are you running two antivirus apps at the same time? If so, remove one of them and see if that helps. Also, you might want to remove the maintenance tools as well.

Are you running two antivirus apps at the same time? If so, remove one of them and see if that helps. Also, you might want to remove the maintenance tools as well.

No, I know that you shouldn't ever use 2 antivirus softwares together. I used Panda, uninstalled it and then used AVG, I uninstalled the maintenance tools as well as everything I had installed after the issue had started to occur.

I find that IE (I don't use FireFox much) only uses a lot of CPU if it's busy with authentication of a site it's trying to reach.

S-0-6-98-100016064-100025734-100005007-2661.com looks to me like the wrong thing's been pasted somewhere. Your egistry probably has a key S-0-6-98-100016064-100025734-100005007-2661 which is the way it stores user. I've no idea how it got to Firefox.

If I'm right, the key to debugging this is:

1/
Look in the options for Firefox and see whether that string has crept in somewhere

2/
Using Regedit, search for the string both with .com (unlikely to find anything but might if you've got malware) and without.

Then get back to us.

try to scan your system with malware bytes...

try to scan your system with malware bytes...

That actually found 11 infected files, upon removal my C: drive is accessible now, and my IP isn't being blocked from several websites for initiating DOS attacks on the the websites.

Thank you for all for the input and your time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.