I’d appreciate any and all input re an automated backup solution for our small office peer-to-peer network.
We have 5 PC’s, 3 running XP Pro, 1 XP Home, and a Vista Home laptop, which often goes home with the director.

Our needs are pretty basic: Daily, incremental backups of MS Office documents and email (TBird), and periodic (monthly?) system backups for each machine. Ease of use and minimal support requirements are important, as staff are not at all technically oriented, and the support person (me) is available on an as-needed basis, but cannot be on site daily.
As a non-profit, budget is a biggie also- we can spend maybe $400 - $500 max.

I’m thinking along the lines of backing up to an external USB hard drive on the XP Pro box that's hard-wired to the router (the rest are wireless). We would periodically backup the HD, probably to CD.

Would XP’s Windows Backup fill the bill for us, and would it work for the Vista machine?
Perhaps we should consider Ghost or something else?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I would go for an external Network Hard disk or a NAS (which is directly connected to the router via Ethernet) ...

As backup software you have a lot of choice ...
Two free and very good backup programs are SyncBack and Cobian Backup (just use Google to find them) ...

I would go for an external Network Hard disk or a NAS (which is directly connected to the router via Ethernet) ...

As backup software you have a lot of choice ...
Two free and very good backup programs are SyncBack and Cobian Backup (just use Google to find them) ...

Thanks Tux... :icon_wink:
That's what I needed- a direction to start off! -dodge

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.