I have a problem with the CD Rom and I hope there is anybody who knows what is going on and how to fix it. I have a laptop HP Pavillion dv 5218nr. It originally had 80 Gb hard drive but recently I bought a new 500Gb hard drive. When I put the new hard drive in, everything seemed to work fine besides the fact that the CD Rom was missing. I checked the Device Manager but it's not there. First I thought that CD Rom just might have gotten broken, so to check that I put the old hard drive back in, and CD Rom is working properly with it. I ran out of ideas...

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I assume by CD ROM you mean the CD drive is not detected.
Are you using the same operating system as on the old hard drive?

I assume tyhat you have the hard drives on one cable / motherboard connector and the cd/dvd drive on the other cable / connector.
it may be that by putting one hard drive on each cable and then the cd drive and / or dvd drive on the cable with a hard rrive and ensuring that the hard drive is master and the cd as secondary that should solve it!
M

I assume tyhat you have the hard drives on one cable / motherboard connector and the cd/dvd drive on the other cable / connector.
it may be that by putting one hard drive on each cable and then the cd drive and / or dvd drive on the cable with a hard rrive and ensuring that the hard drive is master and the cd as secondary that should solve it!
M

are you sure the drives are on the right cables and set up as masters and slaves respectively?
M

I assume by CD ROM you mean the CD drive is not detected.
Are you using the same operating system as on the old hard drive?

Yes, it's Windows XP Home Edition

are you sure the drives are on the right cables and set up as masters and slaves respectively?
M

What cables?

Did you simply replace the old hard drive and plug it into the same cable?

What type of hard drive is it SATA or PATA? if it is SATA there is not a master or slave.

Is the CD-ROM detected at boot up? you may see it, if not try pressing tab at boot up or enter BIOS by pressing something like F2.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.