Hi People,
Does anybody know how to auto start a program when starting Windows XP? I would like to start my computer with Windows XP, leave the room and when I get back Internet Explorer 5.X is up and running. I was able to automacally connect to my ISP. But now just startup when booting up.

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi People,
Does anybody know how to auto start a program when starting Windows XP? I would like to start my computer with Windows XP, leave the room and when I get back Internet Explorer 5.X is up and running. I was able to automacally connect to my ISP. But now just startup when booting up.

Thanks in advance

Just open your start menu (start->programs) and drag the IE or any other program into the startup folder

peace

I have the opposite problem. I do NOT want my IE to autostart. My brother thought this would be a good idea if my Dell Laptop booted up directly to IE and whatever he configured, now I can't undo it

IE is not listed in the StartUP menu, nor in Services. A Dell Connect
Tech tried for 6 hours to find out where it was originating from and gave up. I have put my machine through 3 different spyware programs. Any ideas how to UNDO Internet Explorer autostart?

Many thanks,
pianoplayer 65

Heh.. brothers...
HiJackThis:
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-install it to a new folder alongside your program files.
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe, select Open Misc Tools Section, check List minor Sections and press Generate Startup List....
And if it does not show up on that there is a specialty startup lister we can run...

Check the registry entries at

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

These may contain entries that you don't want to run at startup, including internet explorer maybe?

If you don't know how to access the registry, go to Start - Run and then enter "regedit" (without quotes) and press enter and then use the tree on the left to navigate to the above.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.