Hi, i'm new to this and not sure exactly how to do all of this but here it goes....I have been having a lot of problems with my inspiron 1521 at first it would recognize any of my apps and now it's dumping suddenly...is there anything i can do to fix my problems?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi, i'm new to this and not sure exactly how to do all of this but here it goes....I have been having a lot of problems with my inspiron 1521 at first it would recognize any of my apps and now it's dumping suddenly...is there anything i can do to fix my problems?

Hi kimc1!,
I'm assuming that by dumping you mean the machine is giving you a blue screen telling you it's dumping all of the physical memory???

If that is the case then you have a hardware problem!. What os are you using?

Are you sharing a usb flash drive between vista and xp?

have you been having any other proplems like slow data transfer or freezing etc???

Yes I got the blue screen of death...i then ran an antivirus and malware scan and things seem to be running better. I'm still getting some freezing after a while of running my computer. I'm not sure what you mean by sharing a flash drive. This all started when I was at a friends house and got on the internet using an unsecured connection...

Buy sharing a flash drive I mean using a usb pen drive to transfer files from one machine to another. This can cause a problem when using it between vista and xp! I have observed on a number of occasions, vista formatted pen drives crashing xp. It seems to interperet the pen drive as a faulty piece of hardware and shuts the machine down to preserve your data.

I wouldn't worry to much about an unsecured connection unless you entered passwords (change them) or installed something to your hard drive during the session.

Most of the time physical dumping is due to a hard drive or ram problem. When coupled with freezing and slow data transfer, this is almost certainly the case!

If you feel confident then: check jumper settings on your drives.

If your using ide, make sure the cables are correct (80 conductor on master)

Find out what brand your drives are and get the health check tools from the manufacturer, if none available then find a generic one- also run check disk from property tools.

download and run a memory check for the ram (.iso for boot time cd).

make sure the motherboard is well earthed (especially around the ram slots)

You could also use something along the lines of http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/ a nifty little program you can use for free personal use. This runs a diagnostic and generates system reports. If your machine reboots during the proccess then there is a hardware problem. If it doesn't then this tool will give some clues as to hardware issues you might have!

Hope this helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.