I've recently built a new PC and decided... what the hell, I'll get an OS that causes baldness... Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit. So far it has locked up two times for no reason and restarted my PC completely (I want to catch the problem before it could possibly get worse). Sometimes this happens when I'm uninstalling a program (uninstalling PC probe.. a motherboard status program provided by ASUS)... sometimes when I boot up certain games like Empire: Total War (every time I open this game it happens). All of the newest updates and drivers are installed for every component.
Does this happen often with Vista? Maybe it's specifically x64 because of x32 software incompatibilities? I doubt that its a hardware issue but I'm not ruling it out.
- 550w BFG Tech Power Supply
- ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo (LGA 775 P45)
- Intel Core 2 Dou (2.8Ghz 3MB L2 Cache) Constant temperature of 30 (not in use) - 40 (heavy load) Degrees C.
- Aftermarket Zalman 120mm 2 ball CPU cooling fan and thermal paste
- 4x1GB DDR2 800 SDRAM (2 dual kits)
- 512MB GDDR3 ASUS EAH 2900XT (ATi Radeon) Constant temperature of 52 (not in use) - around 63 (heavy load) Degrees C
- Seagate Barracuda ATA IV (IDE - 120GB)
- Buslink DVDRW812D (IDE - secondary connection from same wire as hard drive)
Let me know what other info you may need or if you have any ideas on how to correct this. Any info is greatly appreciated.