So I have a Toshiba A215-S7418. My cousin dropped it while the power cord was still attached and broke the jack inside the laptop. So I had to take apart the whole laptop to change the jack and secure it back. Then I had to get a new power adapter because the plug was messed up.

Now, everything works fine....but the touchpad. It will not work at all not even the buttons. I looked in the device manager, nothing. It seems like it does not even recognise know the thing is connected.

I'm experienced working with laptops and computers in general, but this is really stumping me!

At first I thought it was a connectivity issue. So I took a look at the ribbon cable from the pad to the motherboard. The connections were starting come off the ribbon, so I bought a new cable. No luck. So I bought a whole new touchpad and button board thinking that would work. NO LUCK!!!!!

I've tried taking the battery out, unplugging it, and holding the power button for 60 seconds. I've tried the FN+F9 thing to lock and unlock the touchpad. I've uninstalled the synaptics software, and reinstalled it. Still no luck.

The only thing I can come up with is an error in the system event log. It is Event ID 6." IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 4, function 0. " It gives the same event error for PCI slots 5 and 6 as well, all function 0. These error never happened before the computer was dropped, taken apart, fixed and put back together.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I appreciate the reply athlon32.

I kept fooling with it, and found out that not only had the original mouse been defective...but I was putting the new cable in upside down. I can't believe I was that dumb. It was a connection issue after all. After I flipped the cable, everything worked great. It only took me 3 days to figure out that the cable was upside down.....well lesson learned!!

Happy to see issue solved... we can all be a little blonde at times ;)

Just as an aside, if you are or plan to move to Win7 (looks like that model is x64 compatible, so would recommend that path), DO NOT install touchpad drivers!!! Win7 brings its own touchpad drivers which work flawlessly, where as most OEM drivers are unsigned and will flag ALL the damned processes at next and onwards till you tell Windows to shutup!!

Would actually reccomend investing in a wireless notebook mouse, BlueTooth if you afford the little extra, as will save the need for a dongle. Would advise the MS mouse over the Logitech, as is actually a lot cheaper and has far superior batter life.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.