I have a DELL 24 inch high resolution monitor. After 2 months, a problem occurred where the display is larger than the screen, ie too wide. The problem sometimes is alleviated by altering display settings to 1920 X 1440 then restarting (from 1920 X 1200) but now this does not fix the problem. Reset to factory settings also does not fix.
Can anyone help please.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Make sure you are using the correct drivers for both your graphics card and monitor.

Make sure you are using the correct drivers for both your graphics card and monitor.

Thanks Rik - and I am

Perhaps you would let us have the exact Dell monitor model number and your graphics card.

In the meantine, in the Display Properties, are you showing only modes supported by the graphics card?

Also have you tried 1920 x 1080?

Thanks Suspishio. I have an Intel Pentium 3 PC with 1.5 GB RAM, an ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Series Graphics Card and a Dell 2408WFP
24 inch widescreen monitor running VGA analog

I can't work my way through the mumbo jumbo on the AMD/ATI web site to find out whether or not your graphics card actually has a DVI socket. I hope it does because if you use that to connect to your monitor then I'd bet the problem would go away.

I repeaty my earlier question: in the Display Properties, are you showing only modes supported by the graphics card?

Can you set the nonitor to 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz?

somehow i don't think you have a Plll ,running a pci-e card

Thanks for your reply Suspishio
I don't have a DVI port.
Thanks to your response, I have experimented with various monitor settings including 1920 X 1080 with no success, even though it worked on that setting for several weeks. However, it is now OK using 1600 X 1200.
Should I upgrade my graphics card ? If yes, to which make/model in your opinion. Thanks.

The sole change to my PC in recent weeks was installing/ using a monitor calibration device Spyder2Express.

I can't work my way through the mumbo jumbo on the AMD/ATI web site to find out whether or not your graphics card actually has a DVI socket. I hope it does because if you use that to connect to your monitor then I'd bet the problem would go away.

I repeaty my earlier question: in the Display Properties, are you showing only modes supported by the graphics card?

Can you set the nonitor to 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz?

Exactly what PC do you have (model name)? Then I can suggest an NVIDIA card with DVI!

Also how much graphics RAM does your ATI have? I don't want to suggest anything that reduces your available user RAM.

Hi Suspishio
sorry for the slow response - short vacation. My PC was purchased locally in Sydney Australia - it is not a recognised brand (Digital Star). It has a Pentium D 805 Dual Core 2 X 2.6 GHz CPU, 3 GB RAM. ATI RADEON XPRESS 300 Graphics Card with support for external graphics via a PCI Express X 16 connector (copied from the purchase invoice). Purchased March 2006. I am not PC literate enough to ascertain "how much graphics RAM".

I use my PC for email, internet and photo editing.

Time to replace PC ? Or just NVIDIA card with DVI ?

Original problem is now intermittent - once every 2 weeks. Current display setting OK on 1920 X 1200.

Thanks very much for your interest.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.