Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I just upgraded my Windows 2000 to Windows XP. The whole process went smoothly and after it finalized the installation the computer rebooted. However, now Windows won't boot up at all. I've tried to boot it up in safe mode, but the same thing still happens. When it gets to the Windows loading screen, the computer just crashes and reboots. Sometimes it doesn't even get to the loading screen. Am I pretty much screwed here or is there a way to fix this?
I don't know if this is the reason, but when I try to go to safe mode, it seems like the directory is still WINNT/System32. I remember that the directory for XP was usually WINDOWS/System 32, but I'm not sure.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the bios and change the boot order.
  2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen,
  3. To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
log into the windows you want to repair then use fixboot. then reboot the computer.

I've tried doing that, but even with the boot order with all CD Drive and with the XP CD in the comp, it doesn't seem to be able to boot with the CD.

Just to make sure I'm doing this right though...I went into the setup and then into the Advanced section. I changed the 1st-3rd boot device to CDROM and turned off "Try Other Boot Devices."
When I saved the settings and rebooted, when it booted up it said "Boot Failure. Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected BOot device. Press any key when ready." But the XP CD is in the computer so I don't know what went wrong.

is the cd bootable? seem like it's not a bootable image on the cd.

do you think that using a different windows xp cd would work?

yes as long as the cd is bootable and is the same version as what you installed. that is pro or home edition.

thanks for you help. i'll go try this when i get my hands on another cd.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.